Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yet more fans... which fan is best to control from mobo?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The mobo - ASUS P5AD2 - 2 chassis fan 3pin plugs -- 1 is variably controlled by the bios depending on the temperature.

The case - Silverstone Temjin (Nimitz) TJ03 -
Fans:
2 Rear exhaust - 80mm both with 3pin plugs only.
1 Front input - 120mm with a 3 pin and a 4 pin molex.
1 Top exhaust - 80 mm with 4 pin molex only.

The question is: should I connect one of the rear fans or the front fan to the variable chassis fan controller connector on the mobo?

I'm looking for the best air cooling 8) without the rig always sounding like an air tunnel. :cry:

Any pro's or con's one way or the other would really help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:42 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Plug in the rear fans into the mobo headers if you dont want your pc to sound like hell all the time. During load, the bios controlled fan should spin up and suck out the hot air created by the cpu and hsf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:28 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And...I'll go the other way. I'd connect the control to the front fan(s).

Reasoning: With the controlled fan in the rear, the front one is always spinning at speed. So...the front fan is always at a certain dB.

Now, cases usually have the front facing you, right? So...the front fans are what you hear more of. If you can get the front fan to slow down and be more quiet until you need the extra uumph of a faster (louder) speed, then you can do so. Then it goes back to a lower speed when it's not on load. And besides, just controlling one of the two rear fans may not show any result.

To double check this, unplug the rears altogether and see how really quieter it is or isn't. There's two back there, so they could actually be more loud than the front one. If you do this and feel the front is still fairly quiet, then run both of the rear fans in series and run the controller on those as one big unit. This way, it'll crank them both up or down depending on the need. (You'll have to lose one of the fan's speed sensing lines in the process, but you can use the other one's line. Just splice one of the fan's pair of power leads to the others, then send it to the controlled connector. Read the motherboard's manual first though to ensure what the max amperage is on that one connector. Fans don't pull a lot, but it's better safe than sorry.)

The problem I have with them both being controlled is, I think they'll be cycling fairly often. The two rear fans pull a lot of the cooling chores, and if they cycle down (because they're doing their job), it'll heat up fairly quick and just spin them back up. This process of fast/slow/fast/slow may get old. So...

This is my total thought on why I think the front fan should be the one to control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:54 am 
Celeron
Celeron

:shock:

lol, my idea was that the 120mm fan would be quiet the whole time anyway, so you might just plug in the smaller, louder fans in the mobo header. (unless the 120mm fan has a high rpm.) and yeah, experimenting would be a good thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thanks for the info guys! :D

I guess I'll just have to play with it and see what gives me the best noise to cooling balance.

I was just thinking, how about a temperature controlled fan bus controller, like one of Cooler Masters Aerogates - would that be a better alternative than just controlling one fan or the other?