Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: my 2.4 northwood reached 70c! PLS HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:30 am 

pls help guys. im from the philippines and the climate here is about average
im having some sort of a problem here.

when i turn my pc on my cpu temp reported by Motherboard Monitor is 52c and my mobo's temp is 45c without any overclocking

when i overclock it to 3.06 ghz..my cpu temp goes as high as 70c max! i could even fry an egg on the heatsink!

im using a stock Intel fan/heatsink

heres my pc's specs

Intel p4C 2.4ghz 800mhz
msi neo2-fis2r 865pe mobo
twinmos 2x512 ddr400
leadtek gfx 5600 256ddr
Lian-li aluminum pc 60 with 2 fans intake, 1 exhaust
HEC 475 watts psu
I even drilled holes in front of the case to ensure the 2 fans suck air better
2 seagate barracudas 40gb (RAID 80gb)
1 seagate barracuda 80gb
1 seagate barracuda 40gb (system
1 seagate barracuda 30gb
LiteOn 52x32x52x16 combo drive

Based on the posted cpu temps, the typical is 50c-55c under full load.
My cpu goes as high as 70c when i use cpu burn in!

Im sure all my fans are working, including the cpu fan
thnx :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:53 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

1) Post troubleshooting in Free Clinic
2) Detach heatsink/fan and check for dust buildup in the fan.
3) Thoroughly clean off heatsink and CPU with q-tips and 90+% isopropyl alcohol (I use 99%). Alternate wet and dry q-tips until it is no longer pulling up gunk, then dry one final time with an extra dry q-tip.
4) Purchase and apply arctic silver 5 thermal paste. Apply a thin layer.
5) Reattach heatsink/fan.

You can also invest in a higher quality hsf, depeding on what you're running now. You especially should consider this option if you're getting into some moderate to heavy overclocking.

Buy Me

I would also advise adding more case fans, as 3 is bare minimum on a standard setup and under par for an OC'd rig. Until you can get more fans, take one of the two intake fans (assumably in the front) and mount it as an exhaust in the back, or better yet, as an exhaust on a top blowhole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Stop overclocking so much! Sheesh. You'll fry your chip if you don't put a better cooling solution on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:30 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Jipstyle wrote:
Stop overclocking so much! Sheesh. You'll fry your chip if you don't put a better cooling solution on there.
Totally agree. You just can't overclock things like this as easily as you read around here. Just don't expect it to run cool in a pretty standard (i.e. NOT OC friendly) setup.

You're pushing 600Mhz OVER the stock settings, so...it should be a given that it'll be hot. 250Mhz is the holy grail of OC'ing, and you're at 255 (roughly). You're asking a moped to hit the sound barrier dude.

Speaking of which, what FSB are you getting to reach 3,060Mhz on a 200FSB'd 2,400!? You have fractionals??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:52 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
Speaking of which, what FSB are you getting to reach 3,060Mhz on a 200FSB'd 2,400!? You have fractionals??

His multiplier is 12, so he's at 255. 255 x 12 = 3060MHz

While the prudent part of me says 'yeah, he should back off,' the OCing part of me says he's not going insane on his settings. A 2.4C should be able to handle 255 without temps shooting through the roof like he's seeing. I venture to say that a better heatsink/paste combo and one more fan will yield significant results, with 2 more fans being preferable (can be done for under a $50 investment). I still contend that he'd be alright with a cleaning and fan switch in the meantime, though by no means do I recommend it as a longterm solution.

One other note I forgot to mention, if you've pushed your vcore, try dropping it back down a bit. Northwoods aren't as hungry for juice as you would expect.

Lastly, if you want to buy some time until you can upgrade your cooling setup, take out some of the hard drives that you aren't using. I count no less than 5 hard drives, all contributing to a toasty interior. Those front fans are hitting that hot air and blowing it right back to your CPU completely negating any cool air they're managing to bring in, and only a single fan is pulling all that hot air out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

kumusta pre, maybe you need better fans or more fans to cool your system. do you have thermal paste between the heatsink and proc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:04 am 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats

One4yu2c wrote:

Agreed.

Post subject: thnx! =)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:09 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
Chumly wrote:

His multiplier is 12, so he's at 255. 255 x 12 = 3060MHz

One other note I forgot to mention, if you've pushed your vcore, try dropping it back down a bit. Northwoods aren't as hungry for juice as you would expect.

Lastly, if you want to buy some time until you can upgrade your cooling setup, take out some of the hard drives that you aren't using. I count no less than 5 hard drives, all contributing to a toasty interior. Those front fans are hitting that hot air and blowing it right back to your CPU completely negating any cool air they're managing to bring in, and only a single fan is pulling all that hot air out.

Thnx for the help. I'm just trying to see how far my 2.4c would go using just stock cooling. im not a hardcore oc'er. for the vcore I upped it to 1.55 to juice up the 3.06 ghz mark. Maybe that contributed to the heat problem.

Still, im looking for 90%+ isopropyl alcohol but couldnt find one! most alcohols available here are only 70% tops. How about gin or rhum? hehe

Im planning to do the lapping and the cleaning in the weekend. hope it'll help! thnx for the help!

Post subject: mabuhay!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:17 am 

keymaker wrote:
kumusta pre, maybe you need better fans or more fans to cool your system. do you have thermal paste between the heatsink and proc?

Thnx for the advice pare. pero yoko na ng fans kasi eh, yoko maingay. Maybe i'll just upgrade my heatsink o fan. Maybe Alpha PAL 8942T? They recommend FAN-7000CU. but as u know, here in the philippines we dont have enough vendors to sell those fans. i have to contact my relative whose in america to get me one!

Post subject: ALPHA PAL 8942T or The Zalman flower?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:25 am 

Folks I'm now back to 2.4c, im too afraid to push it harder. The only thing that bothers me is that when its idle, it reaches 50c. Normally a 2.4c should reach 50c under full load (accdg to my research)

Maybe cleaning the heatsink and applying arctic silver would help (thnxOne4yu2c!). i'll try it over the weekend.

I'm also buying a new heatsink and fan. I'm choosing between the Alpha 8942 T used in dream machine 2002, and zalman ur telling. Which is better?

Thnx again for the help! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I second One4yu2c as a choice of heatsink. I run my 2.8c at 3.36 all the time with this heatsink and AS5. My temps rarely even see 50c under load and idle around 33.
You also need better case cooling. Another exhaust would help quite a bit. 45c idle is pretty warm for a motherboard, confirming to me that you need more airflow in your case. Lots of good links in the modder's forum for cooling solutions. Taking time to carefully route your cables inside your case to help airflow should also help a bit.
With a stock HSF, you are just pushing too hard without enough cooling. It's a good sign that you can OC that far and be stable though, my rig would never get that hot without crashing. Take the time to better plan out your cooling and you should be good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Bonger, it's critical that you get more case fans in your setup. Naturally, my vote will lean towards my recommendations (Zalman), but you still need more than three case fans. With 5 hard drives, airflow becomes more critical in your setup than the average user.

Since you've drilled holes in the front, I'm assuming you don't mind getting your hands dirty with your case. If you don't have a top blow hole, consider using a dremel and making one. The air coming out of my case is always hot at the top. In any event, throw some high CFM rated fans in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I ordered a 2.4C recently. the stock heatsink just has thermal tape. Probably the crappiest way to transfer the heat from proc to sink. I haven't had a chance to install my 2.4C yet as im waiting on the mobo i was going to put it in to come back from being RMA's which died shortly after i ordered my proc >_<. anyway, im thinking about getting a copper heatsink and using arctic silver on it. I went with Thermaltake for my last one but im not sure if I should go wit h a different brand this time. (any suggestions welcome) So, my word of advice is to use a copper heatsink and get mroe fans in that case! Even if you can't find one off the bat, scratching off the thermal tape and putting arctic silver (or maybe even regular silicon paste) on it should also help lowering temps, provided you get more exhaust fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:30 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Disagree with taking off the thermal tape (AND "scratching" it off) and using AC5. It's more than adiquate to transfer the heat that the OEM HS can get rid of. Even if you had a perfect transfer bond from the die to that HS, very little improvement can be seen.

And on the OEM Intel HS's that I have gotten, it was nothing more than a strip of aluminum with paste impregnated on it. Taking it off left a very nasty finish to try to bond to and, as it sat, rose my CPU temp 12F. Lapping it still did hardly anything and put it right back to square one. I wasted an entire night:p

If there's some out there using an OEM HS with thermal tape, I'd simple recommend keeping it as is until you can get an aftermarket HS. The OEM fan isn't that bad anyway, as I've seen some perform worse. Namely, the Thermaltakes of the past (and why I will usually overlook that brand now days).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:46 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm not sure if that applies to me, chumly about the temp rising...I cant clearly remmeber if I scratched my tape off or not but I might have applied arctic silver right over it...Anyway, I've had no problems OCing my CPU a decent amount on an IC7 I used...I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't seem to have any problems..Anwyay, I still have stuff to learn so i may stand corrected.

Post subject: Which?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:09 am 

guys i'm searching for the zalman heatsink/fan ur telling, but i cant find one. FYI, im here in the Philippines and most of the pc parts distributors here sell only the common goods. There is one, luckily, that sells products for modders, but they also dont have the zalman hsf.

So these are my choices...since these are the only hsf's available

ThermalRight
ThermalRight GLX 7000
Gigabyte 3d cooler pro
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
Thermaltake Spark 7+
Coolermaster Jet 4
Coolermaster Aero 7+

I dont trust the reviews from the web... i trust your opinion.
again, Thnx for the help guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:28 am 

one more thing to check, make sure you haven't broken your plastic bracket that holds the cpu fan, i've seen that happend a couple of time :!: ....