All times are UTC - 8 hours

nVidia SLI or Alienware ALX
SLI 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
ALX 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not a frame rate whore 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Watercooling the nVidia SLI
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:39 am 

I just wnat your guy's opinions. How yould you go about watercooling a dual geforce 6800 ultras (OCed to ~470MHz). Would you need dual pumps or radiatiors or something like that to get all that water through and/or keep it all cool.

Alienware's ALX systems are watercooled with a Koolance Exos (i think) and are oveclocked but I don't know how much (440MHz?)(Ultra Extremes?). But probley not to 470mhz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:59 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I voted "I am not a frame rate whore".

But in actuality for me it should be "I can't afford to be a frame rate whore".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:19 pm 

Coppermine, hmm... That sounds familiar.

Oh yeah I just ran CPU-Z. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:21 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

SkitzoGamer wrote:
Coppermine, hmm... That sounds familiar.

Oh yeah I just ran CPU-Z. :cry:

huh :?:

o yeah, i voted that im not a frame rate whore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:52 pm 

It says it undr his name, I saw it and it rang a bell.

Pentium 3 Core, my computer is garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:21 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Not too complicated really. Danger Den has some kickass 6800 waterblocks, so I'd put two of those on first. Running these two waterblocks in series wouldn't be too bad as the temp would average out eventually anyway. But if it mattered, I'd put the freshly cooled water into the "fast" card (x16) first, then jump it over to the "slow" one (x8). Just put a piece of tube jumping the exit of the first block to the second block's inlet.

The rest is like a standard watercooling set up with a pump and radiator. Res is always optional. But a small pump could really be used on an SLI only cooling loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:55 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If we have to upgrade our video cards every year just to keep up with the games that are coming out then why bother?

If you're thinking that it will make it so you don't have to upgrade next year consider that if a new DirectX comes out your card(s) won't support it no matter how fast they are.

I never buy top tier video cards not because I can't buy them but I don't like paying $200 more dollars on something that I'm going to throw out soon. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:12 am 

Chumly wrote:
Not too complicated really. Danger Den has some kickass 6800 waterblocks, so I'd put two of those on first. Running these two waterblocks in series wouldn't be too bad as the temp would average out eventually anyway. But if it mattered, I'd put the freshly cooled water into the "fast" card (x16) first, then jump it over to the "slow" one (x8). Just put a piece of tube jumping the exit of the first block to the second block's inlet.

The rest is like a standard watercooling set up with a pump and radiator. Res is always optional. But a small pump could really be used on an SLI only cooling loop.

Yeah that's wht I was thinking Chumly but the nozzle thingies in the danger den waterblocks (the nv6 series ones) poitn up. So how do you dela with that? They would have to go up and bend around and back down so there's no fold in it. But I guess you could use right and tube dealies. But I don't like those but I guess I'll have too. Or just use a normal water block but that's cheating. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

90-degree elbows :wink:

But if you want to get really complicated, you could block off one of the cooler's entry ports and make a directly linked pipe from the first card's exit into the lexan top of the other (on the inlet path) by drilling/tapping a new hole. This would make the two SLI'd cards pretty permanant and would have to be installed as one big card, so...it'd have to be pretty accuratly measured and planned.

I'll take the 90-degree fittings any day. There's some prettier ones out there, but those were the quickest I found that'd work.