Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: benchmarking help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey. I was just wondering where to get some good benchmarking programs. Iv heard of 3dmarks programs but i dont know where to get it.
Please reply with some websites and some info on the site and program :D. Thankz you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:22 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

3DMark
SiSoft Sandra
Teach A Man To Fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thank you im downloading 3dmarks as I speeck :D. Well what do you guys think my system will score?:
P4 3.2
Intel 865pe chipset
1gb dual ddr-400 pc3200
geforce fx5600
Not the best system but i plan to get a 6800u, better memory, and a better sound card soon. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Alright my score for 3dmark03 was 2217. I think this was sort of a low score. Could anyone explain why it was this low? I ran it twice and it came out with the same score. Next I downloaded PCmark04 and I scored a 4516. I have no idea if that is good or bad... :lol: . You tell me. Anyway, I have another question. Im looking for some good ram. I understand crucial has some good ram called ballistix. Are these good memory upgrades for should i go with another brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:17 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

3DMark03 is not a system benchmark, but for all intents and purposes, strictly a video card benchmark. Slap your vid card in another system with lesser specs, and you'll see very similar results. 3DMark01SE will more accurately reflect your system as a whole.

As for memory, you already have 1gb of PC3200 so you're looking at a costly upgrade in switching to premium RAM. Ballistix is an enthusiast model, as is Corsair's XMS, OCZ's EL and Gold lines, Mushkin's hi-performance, and Kingston's HyperX series. They're mainly geared toward overclockers and are much more useful in that respect as opposed to running stock. You can enjoy tighter latency timings at stock, but you won't notice a difference on your system, and that's quite a cost for something you won't notice.

Bottom line is, you have a solid system. To take gaming to the next level, focus on a video card upgrade and don't worry about the RAM.