Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help finding a new motherboard
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:01 am 

Sup guys, first time posting but long long time reader on these forums.

With all my experience in building computers, this is the first time I struggle finding the right motherboard. There are just too many good choices... it is insane (i guess im still an amateur)

What I do with my computer: I am a hardcore gamer, i like to open many programs at once, I like speed, I do not overclock my computer, not needed.

My other components: corsair water cooling H100i, 2x GTX 760 (SLI), 4 SSDs, 2 HDDs, CPU i7 4770K,
the RAM i am not sure yet... I guess I should settle for DDR3 RAM 1600MHz, anything higher is overkill right? should I consider triple channel RAM?

I would like to have at least 8 SATA ports, and I am not too big on playing around with the settings on my motherboard.

So far, what has caught my eye is the ASUS Maximus VII Hero

feel free to suggest downgrades, or suggest areas for me to save money. I do want my rig to look nice :)

Thank you for any input. Also feel free to just simply tell me what recent motherboard you have and why you have it.

Post subject: Re: Need help finding a new motherboard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
first time posting but long long time reader on these forums.

Welcome! Now that you've taken the initial plunge, dive right in!

First, your comment about triple channel RAM - that's a feature of the LGA 2011 motherboards; the 4770K you have requires LGA1150, so 3-way RAM won't do you an good. Second, you could get some marginal benefits from faster speed RAM (like 1866), but the difference won't be noticeable to the average user. See what's on sale, and feel free to get either speed.

MPC did a round up of Z97 motherboards in its August 2014 edition. While the Maximus VII did well, they liked the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H and the MSI Z97 Gaming 7 more. I don't have experience with any of these boards, but I do have an MSI Z87-G45 and it's a pretty nice mobo. All three manufacturers have pretty solid reputations when it comes to motherboards, so you should be ok regardless of what you choose.

BTW, you can go with either Z87 or Z97 motherboards, but since the Z97 is newer and out-of-the-box ready to handle the latest iteration of Haswells, I thought these offered you more long-term options.

Hope this helps.