Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I've made the switch...of CPU companies.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I recently switched from my old AMD FX-8150 to a new Intel Core i5 4670.

The new Core i5 is way faster and startlingly cooler than my old AMD FX-8150.

(86 degrees F idle-on the stock Intel heat sink.My old AMD needed a after-market Cooler Master Hyper 212 to hit those temps.)

Another thing that startled me was price.

(The FX-8150-CPU alone-was $270 when I bought it.My new Core i5 upgrade-CPU and new Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H motherboard-only cost me $320 total.)

Post subject: Re: I've made the switch...of CPU companies.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Of course, some AMD "aficionados" are going to tell you you're doing it wrong because you're not running multithreaded tasks.

They keep using that term like they dived deep into the horrors of multithreaded programming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I think they both are good CPUs--for the right task.

If I'm going to get a CPU and use the embedded graphics, I might lean towards AMD more (although I did just build an Intel HTPC build, mainly because the AMD generated too much heat--if it didn't, I would have gone for it).

But if I want a server or high-end desktop that I'm going to be doing CAD on, I would then go Intel for sure.

They both have their positive and negative points. You have to just decide which one suits your needs best (budget, needs, etc). I have both brands of chips running in PCs and laptops in my house, and each works well for what I intended them for. It's kind of like the Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford arguments that go around in automotive circles. It depends on your needs, what you're willing to pay, and your experience with them. I think they both have their place. I feel that AMD makes better integrated graphics, but Intel makes chips that are better for high-precision tasks such as CAD and programming (not that you can't do them on an AMD, but most CAD programs I've seen are coded to favor Intels).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:50 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

cbassett01 wrote:
I think they both are good CPUs--for the right task.

If I'm going to get a CPU and use the embedded graphics, I might lean towards AMD more (although I did just build an Intel HTPC build, mainly because the AMD generated too much heat--if it didn't, I would have gone for it).

But if I want a server or high-end desktop that I'm going to be doing CAD on, I would then go Intel for sure.

They both have their positive and negative points. You have to just decide which one suits your needs best (budget, needs, etc). I have both brands of chips running in PCs and laptops in my house, and each works well for what I intended them for. It's kind of like the Chevy vs. Dodge vs. Ford arguments that go around in automotive circles. It depends on your needs, what you're willing to pay, and your experience with them. I think they both have their place. I feel that AMD makes better integrated graphics, but Intel makes chips that are better for high-precision tasks such as CAD and programming (not that you can't do them on an AMD, but most CAD programs I've seen are coded to favor Intels).

I agree 100%!

Also, if someone is running a Virtual PC, or multiple instances of a virtual PC like I do in exploring web-links that may be harmful, the Intel chip is definitely the way to go. Muti-threaded applications lean heavily in Intel's favor while, if I were only concerned with gaming and on a budget, I'd have no issues at all with using an AMD chip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:20 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
he new Core i5 is way faster and startlingly cooler than my old AMD FX-8150.

First, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, but if you compare a CPU from 2011 (which competed against the i5 2500 and i7 2600) of course it's not going to stack up well. In fact, I'm certain if you had bought an i5 2500K, you would be saying the same things. Haswell is a 2 generation step from Sandy Bridge and it was designed to run with low power consumption (low power = less heat). I'm also a little startled by the price you quote - the 8150 debuted at $245 and it dropped fairly quickly to $200 after the initial release.

I would agree with other people's sentiment - each CPU serves its purpose. AMD does quite well in the very narrow market it has wedged itself into (which is a rant for another day). If you're wanting a low budget, even mid-range computer, AMD can offer a great product. And if you can save $10-20 on a CPU, that's $10-20 you can use towards a GPU. On the low end of the market, that step up could mean big gains in gaming performance.