Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1st time build
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 am 

I'm looking to build my 1st gaming PC, trying to do it for as little as possible but with maybe the option to upgrade as I go along. Currently I use my pc for world of warcraft but I'm slowly feeling my self transitioning from Xbox to pc gaming hence wanting the option to upgrade it if needs be.

Basket Subtotal (5 items): £327.14.
MSI 970A-G43 AMD 970 ATX Motherboard (PCI-E, Socket AM3+)
£45.36
You save: £24.63 (35%)

Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card with Boost
£119.00
You save: £82.52 (41%)

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
£64.06
You save: £1.31 (2%)

AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)
£71.52
You save: £40.89 (36%)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
£27.20
You save: £2.79 (9%)

planning on using my Lancool pc-k7 case, ocz500mxsp 500w power supply and 2xwd caviar 250gb hd if I can to save money for now! I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance

Ricky

Post subject: Re: 1st time build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hi, Ricky! Welcome to the forums.

Overall, a solid build, much more powerful than the Xbox One. For the immediate build, the RAM you selected has some very tall heat spreaders which may interfere with the Hyper 212. You may want to consider low profile RAM - not as "sexy" as the Vengeance, but less hassle.

As for future upgrades, I would look at a better GPU (for gaming) and an SSD (for improvement in general operations). Personally, I would try to include an SSD in the initial build since the GPU you have already is pretty respectable. Plus, if you use an SSD right away, you don't have to worry about cloning the primary drive, or having to perform a fresh install.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

FYI. 500 watts may not be enough power. You may want to consider a 650 or 750 watt power supply. I don't know much about the FX series CPUs, but just glancing over the build, I would recommend a higher-wattage power supply (IMO).

And if you plan to overclock, you'll want the extra power. You can never go wrong with a PC Power & Cooling unit honestly. They're a bit more pricing, but I have yet to kill one, and I'm pretty hard on them, run them at about 80% load, which is about the upper limit that you want to run a PSU.

I will share this piece of advice too: Spend a little extra beyond being cheap. Being cheap just ends up costing more in the end. Like with my PSU example abovc (PC Power): the PSU cost me about $100 (I have a 750 watt) but I've had it for about 5-6 years and the things are still going strong. Whereas I could burn out a cheap PSU in about a year, and those would cost me about $30 still, so after five years, I would have spend $150 on cheap PSUs, plus headaches and time changing them. Buy what you can afford, but be careful not to skimp on PSU or HDD/SSD (simply because those two in my opinion--other than the CPU and GPU, which you have covered pretty well) are the next two most important pieces of equipment in your system. I say the SSD/HDD simply because some are better than others, and generally the better ones come at a price. Not to say that the cheaper ones are bad necessarily, but they may not last as long. I would strongly recommend looking into an SSD as well. A 250GB at minimum. The rest of your stuff you could store on a regular SATA drive (like your data).

And for gosh sakes, get some Artic Silver thermal paste. Don't use the junk they give you with the heatsink. AMD or Intel, their thermal paste (and OEM heatsinks) suck. But if you don't overclock, you may be fine with the OEM heatsink. Just don't use their (pre-applied) thermal paste.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Er, no, you don't need 650W-750W. 500W-600W should get you going well as long as you get something from like Seasonic or Corsair. I threw the build in http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it suggests about 367W for just the CPU, motherboard, HDD, an ODD, the other parts add a handful of watts. And I can never seem to get their numbers when I run a game and measure off the wall (it's lower than 60%, which is the lowest they'll go)... so in reality, the system should take up 250W playing a game.

Case in point, I'm running my rig on a 450W 80PLUS Gold Seasonic PSU and it's packing a i5-4670K (OC'd to 4.0GHz) and a GTX 670. The worst I've seen it go is 230W off the wall.