Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone used the new AMD Athlon 5000-series APUs?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Sorry if I asked this in another thread/area, but I can't find it...

Anyway, has anyone built an HTPC or computer with one of the new AMD Athlon 5150 or 5350 APUs that are quad cores?

I have a friend who (after seeing my HTPC build, which is an Intel) wants an HTPC as well, but he's a bit short on a budget, and we discussed the new AMD Athlons, which he likes because of the price and the 25watt TDP. But I've never heard any input as to if they are good enough for HD playback and streaming of HD content.
From what I've heard from some of my other PC building people is that they compete with the new Intel Atom processors, which in my book, Atoms are weak processors for any type of graphical work--be it streaming, video or picture editing, or anything like that (but the last Atom i used was an older Atom N330 dual core when they were relatively new about 4 years ago).

Can someone attest first hand that these Athlon chips are worth dealing with? From the graphcis specs I've seen, they are pretty comparable to some of the Intel graphics and even some of the A4/A6 AMD chips... the only real big difference being the L2 cache size and the actual processor clock speed (2.0 GHz vs. 3-4 GHz).