Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Current rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:46 am 

Ok, kids been at me to rebuild his...limited funds, but finally did it.

Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo
Intel i5 4690 3.5 GHZ 4 core 6MB cache cpu
Recycled Corsair Vengeance 12GB but am running 16GB 4x4 1600 Ram
EVGA GTX 660 superclocked signature 2 video
Samsung 840 Evo SSD 120 GB boot
1 TB WD storage

Kept the Fractal Design case and Corsair HX 650W psu, whatever dvd+/-r

I bought what I bought because of upwards potential. I need to know if I did right or did I blow it? I'm pretty sure I'll need better ram, although I'm told that's the native speed for the cpu. I couldn't find a review on the Sig 2 card so I gambled and asked a guy at microcenter about that. Storage is storage but I'll need a higher wattage psu before I start adding in smaller parts to beef up capacity if I need to.

What are your thought's?

Post subject: Re: Current rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:20 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ah grasshopper, you have much to learn :B

Better RAM as in faster RAM (I'm assuming) offers no real benefit. From what I've seen, it either helps integrated GPUs (notably APUs) and compression of large archives. Other than those two things, you get pretty much the same performance. I mean, it may technically be better, but it's always <=1%.

That machine won't eat up any more than 230W if you're not trying to deliberately trying to tax it with Prime95 and Furmark at the same time. Although Furmark now can't cause a burn-in scenario worse than say Crysis 3. Though at worst with 100% load I would predict somewhere along 450W. I can comfortably say this because I have a similar setup, and I've measured 230W off the wall (which with the 80PLUS Gold PSU, it's about 207W for the computer itself). Plus drives don't take up more than a handful of watts at most. You could power all of the drives you could possibly fit in whatever case you've chosen with a single PCIe plug (which is 75W)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:57 am 

Good to know, as far as I've seen so far it seems to be a good stable box...need to run tests. I stopped building for a few or more years so...I have another 500 GB drive to put in it then.

I know he was running Far Cry 3 on highest settings and it did fine. Matter of fact it didn't even kick up fan speeds. I think I hit the mark I was shooting for anyway. I have him installing his fav game which gave him problems in the past...I'll do the burn in and benches later today.

PCmark is dloading and I'm going to jump on it with that and see. Well the free version anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 am 

on the free pcmark run I did got a score of like 4800 I don't remember exactly.

I did the free burn-in at 100% for the 15 min it allows and passed I need a good solid test though. It seems to lock up in Far Cry 3 after awhile and Natural Selection but it may be a setting in game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Are there any other modern games you're running with no issue? If that's the case, then yeah, I'd suspect something's up with those two.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am 

Actually ran into problems in Far Cry 3 and Dark Souls 2 both on highest settings both solved with lowering clock speeds on the gpu. When I use precision x and reduce the clock by 21 Far Cry 3 runs fine on it's highest settings as long as he wants to play, on Dark Souls 2 however -34mhz on the gpu clock seems to work best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
rather than slow down the gpu, boost the voltage a bit, I would bet that it is factory overclocked but at the standard voltage. my 770sc is clocked up from factory settings, but I needed a little more voltage to stop the issues I was having in FC3. you can do that in precision. they also have another download (evga overclock scanner) that will allow you to test your settings after any changes. just put your mouse pointer on the test button in precision, it will tell you what you need and what it does.