Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: need inexpensive micro-atx build
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:58 am 

My son is starting college next month and I'd like to build him an inexpensive micro-atx PC to take with him. Light gaming only. I have an AMD 6870 that I plan to put in from his existing desktop.

So I need a case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, and memory. AMD or Intel. I might pick up an SSD if I find one cheap enough - but could use an existing HD or pick up a cheap one.

We are planning to drive to Microcenter on Monday.

Thanks in advance! I've always had great builds from this forum.

Post subject: Re: need inexpensive micro-atx build
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $434.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-02 12:06 EDT-0400

I'd also recommend a cheap laptop, those things are insanely useful at college.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:16 am 

Thanks Latiosxd.

Would there be some savings by going with an AMD build? I noticed MicroCenter has some nice MB / CPU combo deals on the AMD procs.

Agree on the laptop. I'm either going to give him my 3 year old Asus i7 - or buy a cheap $2-300 laptop. My only concern with the older Asus is the battery life is pretty bad - about 2.5 hours - which may not work in college.

I'd have him go with just a nice laptop, but he will be a computer science major so I think having a desktop he can dual boot to linux and will be decent and stable is helpful. Having the micro will let him grab it if he wants to come home for the weekend or work with friends, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:20 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

AMD doesn't have any decent Mini-ITX boards, so I'd have to re-spin the entire build.

EDIT: Actually MicroCenter does have http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-m ... 2a88xnwifi but the cheapest AMD APU for that part is $90. Plus I don't really like the idea of buying an APU and pairing it with a video card, not to mention Mantle doesn't work with the 6000 series

So yes, you'd be saving about $20-$30 at best if you went this route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:27 am 

I didn't realize you had to pair the video card with the AMD procs.

I was just not sure how the Pentium dual cores are vs going with an i3.

If I abandon the idea of having it be a micro atx does that open up better options?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

longvar wrote:
I didn't realize you had to pair the video card with the AMD procs.

I think I might've confused you. You don't need to pair up anything with anything, I'm just expressing my view on APUs. If you get a video card with an APU, then the GPU portion of the APU is not going to be used. In which case you just have a lower-end processor with a higher end video card. This sort of thing is what Mantle would've helped, but since you have an HD 6000 series video card, that's out the door because HD 6000 does not support Mantle.

Quote:
I was just not sure how the Pentium dual cores are vs going with an i3.

For productivity work typical of a college student, it doesn't really matter. Games will vary, but it can be anywhere from very little difference to up to about 20% less. Doing things like Photoshop or video editing will be a lot worse at about 30%-40% less performance, depending on what it is.

Quote:
If I abandon the idea of having it be a micro atx does that open up better options?

Actually what I showed you was a Mini-ITX build. I just figured if you wanted to go small, go as small as possible. If you stuck with MicroATX, we could definitely open more options, but I don't think we'd end up any different to be honest since the guts would probably be the same. The question I should've asked earlier is how much are you willing to spend?

Also I wanted to add my justification for at least the processor and motherboard. The processor you can actually overclock a hefty amount to reach performance levels similar to the lower-end i3, and motherboards these days are pretty "idiot proof" with overclocking. In my motherboard, it's basically "how fast do you want it to go?" with some pre-set options and it does the rest for me. The motherboard should get you that easy option, plus it comes with a 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter.