Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: suggestions for setting up in-home wi-fi streaming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:08 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, I have a computer that only has USB 2.0 ports on it that I need to use for streaming video (it only has one PCI express slot, which I have to put a video card into, so a PCI-E USB card is not an option.

Anyway, I have the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router and am looking to get a Wireless AC adapter that is Wireless AC, and is USB 3.0, but that can also work with a USB 2.0 port (at reduced speeds obviously).

Secondly, I have found that USB 2.0 wireless adapaters tend to max out at 433 Mbps (at most, for Wireless AC). Is this fast enough to stream 1080p HD content? The computer will be about 40-50 feet away from the router (actually, router will be on second floor, computer will be on the first floor).

I can't run wires or I would just simply do that and be done (I'm renting so I can't go making holes in the walls).

Suggestions on how to get this to work and what adapter should I get?

Post subject: Re: suggestions for setting up in-home wi-fi streaming
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can always do powerline networking. But as for streaming HD content, Blu-Ray (which is at the moment the most commonly used highest quality compression) tops out at 36Mbps. So you're fine as long as nobody else is using the network.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:37 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you sure it's 36 Mbps and not 36 megabytes for streaming HD 1080p? 36 Mbps = about 4.5 MB per second

From all of the other reading I've done some say that 300 Mbps (Wireless N) is OK, but is the bare minimum (and I've gotten a mixed result, so that's why I'm asking here...)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:32 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Google broke?

40 Mbit/s max – 1080p Blu-ray Disc (using MPEG2, AVC or VC-1 compression) [hattip wiki, see ref 25 (Fig.3-3)]

Theoretical (5MB/s) so going to be much less I suspect. Of course, true for wifi bandwidth and everything else too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Remember, multimedia was designed from the ground up to take as little space as possible while offering the best quality as possible. Look at your MP3s, they offer near CD quality (to most people anyway) for a fraction of the space because that's what it was designed to do.

In any case, I should probably point out something on my last post... Whatever bandwidth speed you have on the network is shared with all of your devices. And that's just the raw bandwidth. Usable bandwidth is quite a bit less (I'm not sure since I don't know how much Ethernet overhead is). So basically, if you have someone watching YouTube, someone else downloading a file, and someone else playing a 64 player match on BF4... you might not have the best of times streaming Blu-Ray quality video over the network.