Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need a lot of advice fast on a motherboard and cpu!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:49 am 

ok,I've been out to long and I'm not sure what I need. I like the Intel 4690 i5, but don't need integrated graphics...do all Intel chips do that now? I'm also stumped on what mobo to get...seems like they all have features I don't need like 10 sata ports and wifi(still run lines to gaming boxes in here), I need a good mobo that will run a good chip in a computer that has 2 maybe 3 hdds, 1 video card, 1 dvd drive and will play games good.I don't want to spend a ton of money. I would like to replace the gforce 550ti if possible or find another one to stack in. Please any opinion is acceptable as long as it is legit to help me narrow down my search.

Post subject: Re: Need a lot of advice fast on a motherboard and cpu!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am 

I'm looking at the 15 6790 cpu and the asus Maximus VII mobo. The thing is the integrated graphics and the problems it helps or causes and the mobo has way more features than I need. Those parts are in the range I expect but with the features on the mobo can I find something comparable without all the features and a smaller price tag? I would love to throw in a new video card as well, and use that ti5500 in mine. I'm to old and slow to play games anymore anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 pm 

glad I'm not in a hurry or anything damn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well are you going to order this in the next hour or so or something?

Just pick something a Z97 board from $100-$120 from ASUS, ASRock, MSI, or Gigabyte. The integrated graphics won't cause a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:12 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Here's an MSi z97 and i5 4690 CPU with 8GB or RAM for $400 - a pretty decent price. You could probably do better if you went to Microcenter (provided there's one close to you). As for the GPU, the AMD 280X, the nVidia 760 would be some good options for 1080p gaming.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 am 

thanks btdog, I did go to microcenter and I went balls out seeing as it is my kids gaming box and his was never right after the last build. It was always a little twitchy and I want to make sure I get it right and bad ass this time. I've been promising to rebuild this system for several months and just haven't so yes I'm not buying online and waiting for shipping I'm picking up from store stock.

Ok I'm starting with the Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard
Intel I5 4690 devils canyon cpu
evga gtx 660 (I may possibly change this and use this 660 in my box depending on what I hear here)

I'm now thinking about replacing his hdd and putting in a ssd boot drive and a new storage drive...at least a TB instead of what he has. He is really antsy now that some of the parts are here so the faster I get help the better off my life will be.

Who is making the best ssd drives? I only want about 150GB to use as a boot drive but I know nothing about them.
I also have a question about make and speed of the memory I should use in this system. I think this perhaps where I went wrong last time. I need to replace it anyway so what would be the best for gaming with these other parts. I'm hoping to keep cost down so Crucial or corsair nothing extravagant please.