Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PCI Video card suitable for HD playback? (has HDMI)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So I have a spare computer I'm going to turn into a media player computer (so I can stream my ripped HD video collection to my TV). I have an older computer (probably about 6-7 years old, it's a Core 2 Duo E7600--2.9 GHz I think--and has 4GB of RAM so I think it will be suitable for the task). My only concern is this: the onboard video is obviously not going to do it (it's VGA as well), so I have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card with HDMI, except for its a PCI card, and NOT a PCI Express card.

So my question is: is this interface (PCI) going to be fast enough to output video and sound at full HD 1080p? (Normally, I wouldn't even recommend a PCI graphics card for anything, but since this computer is a pre-built Lenovo and can only take a low profile PCI or PCI Express video card, this is all I have to work with for now. Not quite sure if the computer is worth getting a different video card for, although it does run very well, and I think is suitable for HD playback--just have to get the video card issue figured out).

Opinions?

Post subject: Re: PCI Video card suitable for HD playback? (has HDMI)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:19 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

By the way, I'd be willing to spend up to $50 for a PCI-E graphics card if I needed to, but it has to be a low-profile card/bracket since this is a slim-line case. The specific model of the computer is a ThinkCentre m58p. I'd like to avoid building one simply because that will cost me about $200 at least that I don't really want to spend right now (not that I can't, I just don't want to).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's easier to get a PCI-Express card and you can easily find low profile cards (most of the cheaper cards have low profile conversion)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:46 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I think the PCI based HD5450 will work fine.

If it doesn't then buy a cheap LP or LP ready PCIe x16 card. Make sure both brackets are included if it matters.

Heck that PC even has decent onboard video.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just to throw out there OP, HD video is actually a rather easy thing for many computers that were made even almost 10 years ago. I remember I had an Athlon XP 2500+ that could, though barely, run 720p video. Considering the performance jump between that old dinosaur and what you have, I have no issue seeing even the onboard GPU (as FascistNation mentioned) being able to handle 1080p.

Also the bare minimum, we'll say, for HD content, as per Blu-Ray specification which is much more than what you find elsewhere, is 4.5MB/s (36Mbps). PCI has a maximum throughput of 133MB/s assuming no other devices are on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Just to throw out there OP, HD video is actually a rather easy thing for many computers that were made even almost 10 years ago. I remember I had an Athlon XP 2500+ that could, though barely, run 720p video. Considering the performance jump between that old dinosaur and what you have, I have no issue seeing even the onboard GPU (as FascistNation mentioned) being able to handle 1080p.

Also the bare minimum, we'll say, for HD content, as per Blu-Ray specification which is much more than what you find elsewhere, is 4.5MB/s (36Mbps). PCI has a maximum throughput of 133MB/s assuming no other devices are on it.

I agree with you but additional Video card makes Videos looks sharper specially good for HD. Go for it you are videophile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I'd use the onboard video (or try) but it only has VGA and I think the video is actually bad.... it seems to go blank at various times. Some times it's 5 minutes, others it can run for an hour or two. But it isn't an issue when a video card (PCI or PCI-E) is used so I know the onboard video controller is going bad.
I think it does have the GMA X4500 video though.