Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming PC Build Please Help Me
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:31 pm 

Hello everyone, I have a few questions. I'm a little new to this, but I've done a lot of research. I want to play just about every and any next gen game or game in general. Just wondering if this meets specs.

This is my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gDFH8d

((((If I could get anything cheaper for the same performance PLEASE let me know.))))

Now I am also stuck between a couple things
1. The motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Hero ATX LGA1150 or MSI Z97-G45 (or any other suggestions?)

2. The video card
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX or MSI R9 280 Gaming 3G (or any other suggestions?)

Now a few questions...

1. For the video card, which is better SLI or Crossfire support for gaming?
2. Are there video cards with both SLI and Crossfire?
3. If a motherboard has mSATA, but the graphics card has PCI express interface, does that matter?
4. How much wattage is good enough for the power supply?

I'm sorry, like I said I'm a little new to this so I don't understand everything, but I did do some research so please just bare with me for a minute. Responses would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Post subject: Re: Gaming PC Build Please Help Me
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I made some changes. Changed parts in bold

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Razer Naga Molten Wired Laser Mouse ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1258.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 14:22 EDT-0400

I changed the CPU out because I feel the X79 platform and its parts are too expensive for the performance they offer gaming wise. Plus it's an aging platform. The i5-4690K doesn't come out until the 25th or so I believe, so if you want this now, get the i5-4670K. The only difference is stock clock speeds which may not matter once you overclock it. The RAM was lowered because 8GB is plenty still. I upped the video card with the left over money. The power supply is more in line with what you need and load usage will be more in line with where the PSU is most efficient.

As for your questions:

Neither. Both have reached a point where there's really no difference between the two. The only leg up at the moment that AMD has on the R9 cards is Crossfire doesn't require a bridge connector. But that's like a very minor thing.

If you're talking about a single card with two GPUs, yes. But they're $1000. Otherwise, every card can do SLI or Crossfire if you pair it up with a matching GPU.

3. If a motherboard has mSATA, but the graphics card has PCI express interface, does that matter?
mSATA and PCI-Express are unrelated to each other.

4. How much wattage is good enough for the power supply?
I expect the setup to use no more than 230W-250W from a typical game based on experience and observations (I practically have the same setup I listed, it tops out at 200W). Usually something double this is best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

iroflberryx2 wrote:

SLI is NVIDIA technology for pairing 2 GPUs. The AMD version of pairing 2 GPUs is called Crossfire. No, there are no graphics cards that have ability to run both SLI or Crossfire. They are the technologies of two different companies to do a similar action. Makes sense?

Now, there are motherboards that support either technology. So if you wish to buy NVIDIA, make sure the motherboard is SLI compatible, but if you want to buy AMD GPUs, make sure the mobo supports Crossfire.

All clear?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Aha, I misread that question. :P

Although it's still a good idea to double check, motherboards that were made in the past two years support both SLI and Crossfire.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I changed the CPU out because I feel the X79 platform and its parts are too expensive for the performance they offer gaming wise.

I hate to say it, but I think you misread his CPU/mobo - they're 1150 not 2011 sockets.

Nonetheless, LatiosXT's revision make a lot of sense. In my opinion, the ASUS motherboard probably had too many bells & whistles for what you would need (was there something specific that made you choose that mobo?), so dropping down to a board like the ASRock or similarly priced board makes sense. I also agree with the RAM and the PSU and I really like the bump up to the 770.

My only other comment would be: since LatiosXT shaved off quite a bit of money from your original build, I would splurge and get the 4790K. It's about $40 more than your original choice (the 4790 no K) but it's base clock speed is 4.0 (vs. 3.6) and with a good CPU cooler you'll be hitting the turbo speed (4.4) in several instances. PLUS! no OC'ing required to enjoy those speeds (though you can do it if you want).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You know, I really hate Intel's naming scheme.