Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I pick parts for a computer that CAN run silent?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:59 pm 

Hello everyone

So I'm getting ready to upgrade my PC situation. I've been reusing parts now for a very long time, making small upgrades here and there, using decently working parts without doing a fresh build. This works great but...well, I'm just ready to start over.

My new build has something new that I've never had to consider before, noise output. I don't mind when I'm gaming if it gets a bit on the loud side as fans spin up to counter the increased power use...but when I'm browsing the web, or heck even when the computer is just idle, I'd like it to either go quiet, or at least have the option, through either software or hardware, to minimize that noise.

I'm decently experienced building PC's, and making components work together -- but I've never dealt with fan controllers, water cooled systems (terrify me for that entire water + circuits = ohgoshwhatisitdoingnow?!) and anything less common (or newer, I've never had an SSD for example).

I'm probably going to be spending $2,000 give or take $500. Yeah, I know that's a lot. But it also includes a single monitor (on the larger side), a blue ray player, and a new copy of Windows.

I'm not looking for a full build (although I'll gladly accept them) but I really have no idea where to start in my search.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Post subject: Re: How do I pick parts for a computer that CAN run silent?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Find a case that's roomy, padded, and then get fans designed to run quietly. And it's also probably a good idea not to put the tower anywhere on the desk, you'd hear it otherwise. Under the desk surprisingly drowns out a lot of idle noise.

Take a gander at www.silentpcreview.com . It's not so much the parts you need to worry about, but the case, the fans, and the cooling system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

There is quiet and there is silent. Silent means zero moving parts so the only noise is from thermal expansion.

You want silent means fanless CPU heatsink, fanless PSU, fanless case (LARGE) ventilated to encourage cool air being drawn in from low and venting out the top, fanless GPU and using SSDs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think we need to know the steps of the computer that you want to build. This will tell us how much heat it will produce and how to best get rid of it. Keep in mind that water-cooling setup needs a heat-exchanger (radiator) and that is cooled by fans. Those fans need to be powerful enough to push air through the fins.

So, what I think you want is some way to toggle fan speeds to high at intense situations, like gaming, but low speed/off for surfing and light duty. So you need a fan controller for that. Like the others said, you need to find a nice quiet case. That will make a lot of difference. We need some more info from your part before we can give better advice.