Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well, I'm bored at work. And 90% of my computer time (total) is spent here staring at screens. At work I spend 10 hours a day on corporate internet that blocks 75% of anything interesting. I can look at MPC, Head-Fi and e-mail. All that really matters.

Messing around with part picker. This look feasible? My simulated goal is to have a high performance PC at the best cost to price ratio.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xBYqBm

Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It really depends on what your parameters are. I'm going to assume though this is a gaming machine since that seems to be the primary goal for most people. So I'm going to start with the CPU, drop that to an i5. You can definitely get cheaper 2x4GB sticks of RAM at the same speed, a cheaper motherboard, and drop the power supply to 600W. The video card is a maybe, I feel like there's still something with a better price/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:24 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
It really depends on what your parameters are. I'm going to assume though this is a gaming machine since that seems to be the primary goal for most people. So I'm going to start with the CPU, drop that to an i5. You can definitely get cheaper 2x4GB sticks of RAM at the same speed, a cheaper motherboard, and drop the power supply to 600W. The video card is a maybe, I feel like there's still something with a better price/performance ratio.

Thanks! Which CPU and MB would you recommend? Or should I just pay Digital Storm for a nice water cooled rig? Definitely more expensive that way.

I'm diggin on that Corsair 450D case you recommended. I like the built-in dust filters. Would I still need to blow it out? I have to about once a month with HAF 932.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Azgaryth wrote:
Thanks! Which CPU and MB would you recommend? Or should I just pay Digital Storm for a nice water cooled rig? Definitely more expensive that way.

If you care about overclocking, the i5-4690K (a few more days until its release!). If not, the non K version or the next lowest one. As for a motherboard... as long as you get something from ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte you're fine.

Quote:
I'm diggin on that Corsair 450D case you recommended. I like the built-in dust filters. Would I still need to blow it out? I have to about once a month with HAF 932.

Yes, unless you live in a clean room :P

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
Azgaryth wrote:

If you care about overclocking, the i5-4690K (a few more days until its release!). If not, the non K version or the next lowest one. As for a motherboard... as long as you get something from ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte you're fine.

Quote:

Yes, unless you live in a clean room :P

LOL, farmland and a new construction community ensures daily dust. My air compressor gets some good use though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So many motherboard choices. What is the real difference between a $100 and $200 motherboard? I run a single GPU.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nothing, other than some nice to have features that rarely get used by anyone other than tweakers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm liking this build. I read some more info on motherboards. Good benchmarks, and entire thing only $1870.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1330

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fxjNG