Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 676
Location: Brentwood, CA
Well, I'm bored at work. And 90% of my computer time (total) is spent here staring at screens. At work I spend 10 hours a day on corporate internet that blocks 75% of anything interesting. I can look at MPC, Head-Fi and e-mail. All that really matters.

Messing around with part picker. This look feasible? My simulated goal is to have a high performance PC at the best cost to price ratio.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xBYqBm


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5550
It really depends on what your parameters are. I'm going to assume though this is a gaming machine since that seems to be the primary goal for most people. So I'm going to start with the CPU, drop that to an i5. You can definitely get cheaper 2x4GB sticks of RAM at the same speed, a cheaper motherboard, and drop the power supply to 600W. The video card is a maybe, I feel like there's still something with a better price/performance ratio.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:24 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 676
Location: Brentwood, CA
LatiosXT wrote:
It really depends on what your parameters are. I'm going to assume though this is a gaming machine since that seems to be the primary goal for most people. So I'm going to start with the CPU, drop that to an i5. You can definitely get cheaper 2x4GB sticks of RAM at the same speed, a cheaper motherboard, and drop the power supply to 600W. The video card is a maybe, I feel like there's still something with a better price/performance ratio.

Thanks! Which CPU and MB would you recommend? Or should I just pay Digital Storm for a nice water cooled rig? Definitely more expensive that way.

I'm diggin on that Corsair 450D case you recommended. I like the built-in dust filters. Would I still need to blow it out? I have to about once a month with HAF 932.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:48 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5550
Azgaryth wrote:
Thanks! Which CPU and MB would you recommend? Or should I just pay Digital Storm for a nice water cooled rig? Definitely more expensive that way.

If you care about overclocking, the i5-4690K (a few more days until its release!). If not, the non K version or the next lowest one. As for a motherboard... as long as you get something from ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte you're fine.

Quote:
I'm diggin on that Corsair 450D case you recommended. I like the built-in dust filters. Would I still need to blow it out? I have to about once a month with HAF 932.

Yes, unless you live in a clean room :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 676
Location: Brentwood, CA
LatiosXT wrote:
Azgaryth wrote:
Thanks! Which CPU and MB would you recommend? Or should I just pay Digital Storm for a nice water cooled rig? Definitely more expensive that way.

If you care about overclocking, the i5-4690K (a few more days until its release!). If not, the non K version or the next lowest one. As for a motherboard... as long as you get something from ASUS, ASRock, or Gigabyte you're fine.

Quote:
I'm diggin on that Corsair 450D case you recommended. I like the built-in dust filters. Would I still need to blow it out? I have to about once a month with HAF 932.

Yes, unless you live in a clean room :P

LOL, farmland and a new construction community ensures daily dust. My air compressor gets some good use though.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 676
Location: Brentwood, CA
So many motherboard choices. What is the real difference between a $100 and $200 motherboard? I run a single GPU.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5550
Nothing, other than some nice to have features that rarely get used by anyone other than tweakers.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building fun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 676
Location: Brentwood, CA
I'm liking this build. I read some more info on motherboards. Good benchmarks, and entire thing only $1870.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=0&itemid=1330

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fxjNG


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.