Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Look for a minimalist design case
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:45 am 

I’m looking for a case that is so minimalist in design that David Bowman will exclaim “it’s full of stars”. I like the “refrigerator door” style where a door covers the optical drive and air intakes. I really dislike air exhausts on the top since my cases always sit on the floor where things could be dropped or spilled on them. I want it quiet. I prefer no side window though I can live with a side vent. Ideally there would be no brand name on it, or only a small subtle one or removable one. It’s not like someone is going to make a buying decision by seeing my case since I won’t be taking it anywhere and they could always just ask me what it is.

Here’s what I want to put in it:

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR HX Series HX850
Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80633i74820K
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

…and possibly water cooling for the CPU if that would be quieter. These are probably MaxPC's mid level parts or close.

Is there such a case? The nearest I’ve seen are:

Corsair Carbide Series 330R
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D
In-win 901 / 904 (I would probably take it if not for the brand logo ruining the flat front and no sound dampening)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Look for a minimalist design case
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:40 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Silverstone Sugo line?

EDIT: never mind, it's got an opening on the top.

Post subject: Re: Look for a minimalist design case
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:57 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I thought of the Sonata III 500 (it's out of stock at newegg but available elsewhere), BUT! I wouldn't recommend it.

And here's the conundrum: Some of your restrictions on a case negatively impact the temperature in the case. Case in point, the Sonata III has a door, doesn't have fan openings on the top or the side - it actually only has one place for a fan in the rear (and this location could accommodate most closed-loop CPU coolers). Unfortunately, with all the other components you're rockin' (the 780 and the i7 CPU), the case design inhibits necessary airflow needed which could lead to high thermals and an unstable system.

Please keep that in mind when you ultimately select a case. And let us know what you pick.

Hope this helps.