Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need upgrade advice for an old core 2 quad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have another topic in these forums where I am building a new pc using either socket 2011 or 1150. Unfortunately that is on hold for now because of life issues (hit a deer, boss lost a contract for a customer which means less hours for me). So I have to settle on upgrading my old core 2 quad system for now. My current set up:
Dell optiplex 745 MB
550 watt PSU
2.66ghz core 2 quad CPU (Q6700)
8gb 800 mhz RAM
Geforce GT 630 2gb graphics card
120 gb SSD
1 tb HDD
1tb External HDD
Sound Blaster Zx sound card connected via optical cables to my Logitech z906 speakers
Win 7 64 bit

As far as I can see it is between 2 different upgrades. One is less expensive but has more things I can tweak. The other is twice the price of the first one but has a greater immediate impact on performance.
My two choices so far are:
MB:ASUS P5N-D LGA775 Nvidia 750i DDR2-800 ATX Motherboard $54.99 on amazon
Video card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card $129.99 on Newegg. I also have a $25 gift card for Newegg.
I know I only have PCI express 1.0 but PCI, like SATA, is backwards compatible.
Money is a tight but I do love my video games and I do tinker with graphics programs.

Unless someone has better ideas these are my choices for upgrades, so which to choose?
I can't get both.

Bruce

Post subject: Re: Need upgrade advice for an old core 2 quad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's no point getting a new motherboard, so just get a new card

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I thought the same way but I was told the motherboard I was thinking of getting is a much better board with more bios options for tweaking performance.

The 750 Ti looks like a great card, but I don't know graphics cards that well. I would normally try and stay with EVGA but if there is something better maybe cheaper I would go with that.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:24 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
A new mobo, even with bells and whistles isn't going to net you much. Especially if you're looking at gaming. You might could OC the proc or whatever, but a new graphics card is where it's at. I just got a 750 Ti. It blow the socks off of that GT630.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I agree, but. The MB I currently have only supports 1 PCIe 1.0 port, the other has 2 PCIe 2.0 ports. This is important because I was thinking of getting a SATA III add on card so I can get better performance from my 2 SATA III drives (SSD & the 1tb HDD). If I had the money I could get all three for about $180.

Bruce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I had a laptop with SATA II and I put an SSD in it, it still managed to beat my desktop despite running SATA III on boot times (it was laughingly fast). So unless you have a pressing need for the 550MB/s peak performance, I wouldn't bother with a SATA III card. Plus SATA III doesn't improve hard drives anyway.

As I'm starting to push, an SSD's charm is more in its IOPS, not its transfer rate.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
I had a laptop with SATA II and I put an SSD in it, it still managed to beat my desktop despite running SATA III on boot times (it was laughingly fast). So unless you have a pressing need for the 550MB/s peak performance, I wouldn't bother with a SATA III card. Plus SATA III doesn't improve hard drives anyway.

As I'm starting to push, an SSD's charm is more in its IOPS, not its transfer rate.

Could you please explain. Two points, SATA III doesn't improve hard drives (Does it SSD's?), and the IOPS thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

SATA III doesn't improve HDD performance because on a higher level, SATA only raises the bandwidth limitation. Since HDDs typically top out at 120MB/s with a sequential read, even using an HDD past the first iteration of SATA, which was 150MB/s bandwidth, doesn't provide much benefit.

As for IOPS, input/output operations per second. This is related to the file seek time and the faster this is, the quicker the drive can find and deliver files. This is not affected by SATA. This is very handy for the OS and programs because often times they request a lot of files of small size.

To put simply, consider a scenario where you need to transfer a bunch of 64KB files totally 1GB (this is about 16,000 files). A drive that performs at 500MB/s but with 80 IOPS (typical of an HDD) will lose to a drive that performs at 120MB/s but with 90000 IOPS (typical of an SSD). The 80IOPS device will take about 207 seconds to do because of the file seek overhead, while the 90000 IOPS device will be done in 9 seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:19 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Interesting to know, thanks!

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I ended up ordering the GTX 750 Ti, which I received today.
After what I went through to get this thing installed I believe I now qualify as a certified computer tech.... well at least "certified"...
Here's the story:
The card is huge and when I tried plugging it into the only PCIe 1x port I have, it wouldn't fit. At first I believed it was only a simple clip on the case that pushed up against the vents on the back of the card. So what did I do, I went ahead and clipped three of the vent tines off the back of my brand new GTX 750 Ti video card, of which I wasn't even sure would work in my machine. and, it still would not fit. The side piece that clips onto the case was to big. So, I decided to avoid doing anymore damage to my new card and start cutting on the back of the case. Which would have been easy enough except the snips I was using weren't really metal snips but they were all I could find.. After cutting (more like twisting and turning) a slot out I could still barely get the card to fit. I had to cut that clip I mentioned earlier off completely. But it was still a tight fit. I then connected the HDMI cable, reconnected the other two cards that had come loose, plugged it back in and booted it up. But no video... It was at this time I noticed the blood on three fingers and part of my hand. I had somehow cut my finger open. I thought that only happened when I worked on cars......
Eventually I ended up having to "snip" out the divider piece on the back plate (not sure what it's actually called) that separates each card slot. To get the card to fit. Afterwards I booted it up and it runs fine. Though I had a scare when I decided to replace the empty card slot with the slot plate and I got a blue screen telling me my computer was shut down because of a memory failure. The culprit was the wifi card I still have installed had come loose again. But it runs great now, no problems so far. It seems most of the games I have that are supported by EVGA are optimized at full potential. My windows experience index is now a 7.2 which is limited by both the cpu and memory (both are the best I can get for this old rig). Hmmm, I think I will try Arkham City and see the difference this card makes......

Bruce