Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming Computer Build
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 am 

I am looking to build a computer for pretty nice gaming. Haven't built a computer before.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QNjPK8

A few questions:

1. Is the single video card enough to run that huge monitor? I don't need to run on the highest quality but if in that case it's a waste I will get a smaller monitor instead

2. Should I get another pack of RAM to have 16 GB? Or is CPU/GPU bottlenecking?

3. Is there anything else I should get? Motherboard comes with 3 SATA cables; that is enough, right?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Gaming Computer Build
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:33 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

To answer your questions:
    1. The concern is not so much the size of the monitor (28" vs 24") as it is the resolution. That monitor is essentially 4 1080p monitors. If you want to game, I'm not certain that GPU would be able to provide any playable frame rates on AAA titles even if you use low settings. Additionally, that monitor is only 30Hz refresh rate (most monitors are 60Hz). I would recommend you sacrifice some of those pixels, perhaps a 2560x1440, 1920x1200 or even 1920x1080.
    2. In general, I recommend 8GB for gaming, 16GB if you are using the computer in a professional setting, like CAD, Adobe Premier Pro, etc.
    3. Of course, you'll never know until it comes time to build but I would think for a basic build you should be ok. 3 cables: SSD, HDD, ODD - looks like you have enough.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The No BS Podcast #225 discusses 4K monitors; around minute 19 they mention that 30Hz monitors are unplayable. They also mention the possibility of cheaper panels by the end of the year. Based on their comments, I would advise against purchasing the monitor you selected.