Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey Guys Im New Here
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:01 pm 

hey guys i hope its cool to just jump in and start asking questions, i built my first system almost 6 months ago

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Case
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard
Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Intel Core i5 4670K
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200RPM
Corsair AX860 Platinum Power Supply

i got all the parts i wanted except the graphics card i was given a GIGABYTE 550ti http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3799#ov and that has served me well until now

i just bought EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Classified ACX 4GB https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23960

anyway getting to my question

i was thinking about using the 550ti as a dedicated physx card is this viable or would i be better off just using a single gfx card and can my psu even power it.

if it is a good idea to have both graphics cards in my machine whats the best set up to allow for an additional sound-card because the noctua d14 is very large it blocks the first pci express slot then i have my gfx card in the first pci slot which in-turn blocks another pci express (its a 2 slot card) so i am not sure if all 3 will even fit.

i am looking to buy a sound-card i listen to a lot of music and of course game a lot and the on-board audio just not loud enough through Audio-Technica ATH-M50S and i am a mild audiophile all my music library is flac will i notice a significant difference getting say an ASUS Xonar Essence STX or ST in volume, clarity and bass or will i need better headphones to justify a sound-card?

and finally regarding the mobo and the sound-card is it better to get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI Express or ASUS Xonar Essence ST PCI because of the slot layout of my mobo and with future mobos in mind.

thanks for reading any help is greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: Hey Guys Im New Here
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:34 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think your PSU should have no problem running that 550ti also. About how to place it, you're going to have to look at what PCI slots you got.

Audio card, I don't have a clue. The opinion around here is that it's not worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:58 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
i was thinking about using the 550ti as a dedicated physx card is this viable or would i be better off just using a single gfx card and can my psu even power it.
Yes, it is a viable option and, yes, your PSU can power it.

Quote:
if it is a good idea to have both graphics cards in my machine whats the best set up to allow for an additional sound-card because the noctua d14 is very large it blocks the first pci express slot then i have my gfx card in the first pci slot which in-turn blocks another pci express (its a 2 slot card) so i am not sure if all 3 will even fit.
Based on this MSi Z87 GD65 you have 3 PCIex16 slots, so put the 550Ti in the last (bottom) one. That should give you room for the audio card

Quote:
i am looking to buy a sound-card i listen to a lot of music and of course game a lot and the on-board audio just not loud enough through Audio-Technica ATH-M50S and i am a mild audiophile all my music library is flac will i notice a significant difference getting say an ASUS Xonar Essence STX or ST in volume, clarity and bass or will i need better headphones to justify a sound-card?
Regarding the sound card, see my comment below. Regarding the headphones, someone else will have to check me on this, but most decent headphones are USB and wouldn't benefit from the sound card (I don't think the sound card has a USB port). Also, high quality headphones I believe have built in technology for audio re-production making the sound card a moot point.

Quote:
and finally regarding the mobo and the sound-card is it better to get the ASUS Xonar Essence STX PCI Express or ASUS Xonar Essence ST PCI because of the slot layout of my mobo and with future mobos in mind.
PCI slots have been replaced by the newer PCIe slots. In fact, your motherboard doesn't have a PCI slot (based on the link I have above). So, if you plan on re-using the sound card, I would recommend the PCIe version.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 am 

awesome thanks psu is good and the extra card will help i will chuck it in the bottom slot soon
Pci-e is best but you say a sound-card is not worth it?
my headphones are not usb nor does the stx have a usb input but the headphones are meant to be pretty good from reviews and i love them
why is it not recommended to get a sfx card here do you know something i don't?
also thanks heaps btdog, phillyj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A sound card is not worthwhile these days because the sound chip on the motherboard provides enough features that satisfy most people's needs. Plus games these days are moving away from using proprietary APIs (which the only one that mattered doesn't work anyway on Windows 7) to mix their sound and mixing their sound in-engine.