Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My First Gaming Pc Build ~$1000 Budget.
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:54 am 

So after years of being limited to playing on consoles I finally have enough money to get myself a pc. I have a general idea of the parts to get and just wondered if everything looked okay and what you guys thought about it, or if there is something I should change.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($299.24 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.00 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1038.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-17 13:05 EDT-0400)

So what do you think? is this good or should i change something to make it better and still near my budget?'
Thank you in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: My First Gaming Pc Build ~$1000 Budget.
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:08 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Very nicely done!

If you can push a little more money into the build, I would try to get an SSD - it's a really nice enhancement and definitely noticeable. You could save money by lowering some components (like the CPU and GPU) but then you'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul. In other words, I'd advise against it.

Enjoy your build and let us know how it goes!

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:57 am 

I could put a little bit more money into it for an SSD. Is it really worth it though? Would I only use it for my OS or could I put a few games on it (like the ones that I would play the most)? Does it just give you a significantly faster boot time?

Also, does everything else look okay? Could I get a better motherboard or any other part for about the same price?
Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this and just want to make absolutely sure that everything is correct before I spend this kind of money. I only make min. wage and am going to go back to school soon, which will cost plenty, so every penny counts.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

As I argue plenty of times, it's not really the bandwidth that give an SSD its charms, it's the seeks time (which correlates to loading times). Everything just feels snappier and more responsive with an SSD. I load programs on it mostly, a lot of games still are within a tolerable loading time for me and even then, the chunk of loading happens intermittently.

As for a better motherboard... Define "better", because the Z87 chipset is the most feature rich chipset. Any other features are just added on ports that you probably won't use or "nice to have" features that tweakers appreciate, but not most of the general populace.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:36 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
As I argue plenty of times, it's not really the bandwidth that give an SSD its charms, it's the seeks time (which correlates to loading times). Everything just feels snappier and more responsive with an SSD. I load programs on it mostly, a lot of games still are within a tolerable loading time for me and even then, the chunk of loading happens intermittently.

As for a better motherboard... Define "better", because the Z87 chipset is the most feature rich chipset. Any other features are just added on ports that you probably won't use or "nice to have" features that tweakers appreciate, but not most of the general populace.

Well if it is really worth it then I will get an SSD. Faster is better usually.
As far as asking about any "better" components, I just wanted to be sure than was getting the best parts I could get within my budget. By you saying that the Z87 is the most feature rich makes me feel more confident since I don't really know about all this stuff. I can put the parts together, but don't know all the technical stuff about all these parts which is why I came here to ask people more knowledgeable than me.
I just wanted to be sure that all the cables will reach wherever they need to go and everything fits, and that everything I need comes with all the parts.
All I am really asking for now is for a confirmation that my build looks good and I go ahead and start ordering.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I just wanted to be sure that all the cables will reach wherever they need to go and everything fits, and that everything I need comes with all the parts.
All I am really asking for now is for a confirmation that my build looks good and I go ahead and start ordering.

Short answer: yes. Everything looks compatible and the cords should reach to where they're needed. If you're hyper-sensitive about aesthetics, you can usually find extensions that will help you route cables more cleanly (like behind the motherboard as opposed to laying across it).

As to your motherboard question, there are a lot of solid motherboards in that price range - ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock and MSi. All reliable manufacturers, all make great boards. I would compare them side-by-side. Focus on things you need, not things you'd like to do...someday. Here are some factors to consider when buying a motherboard:
  • what are the I/Os on the back panel? One may have 4 USBs plus an HDMI, where another may offer 6 USBs. Which is more important to you?
  • Where are the connectors for fans, power, and other cables? I love ASRock, but they had one board where all the PWM connectors were smack-dab in the middle of the board. No getting around hiding the cabling there.
  • What PCI connectors do you need and where are they located? You have a PCIex1 adapter but the only PCIex1 slot is right above the PCIex16 slot where the GPU will go, thus covering it up. Granted, you should be able to place the PCIex1 in any slot but who wants to put an x1 in the third x16 slot?
  • Speaking of GPU, where are the SATA connectors? It's very common to have SATA connectors covered by the end of a GPU. Are they right-angled? That may help.
  • Last, read quality reviews and see what other people are saying. Are there a noticeable number of RMAs? If there are bad reviews, is the manufacturer responding? Though it may not be indicative of the actual customer support, it's better than seeing complaint after complaint with no outreach from the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:19 pm 

btdog wrote:
Quote:

Short answer: yes. Everything looks compatible and the cords should reach to where they're needed. If you're hyper-sensitive about aesthetics, you can usually find extensions that will help you route cables more cleanly (like behind the motherboard as opposed to laying across it).

I am not worried about looks. As long as laying cables across the motherboard won't hurt anything then that is fine.

Quote:
As to your motherboard question, there are a lot of solid motherboards in that price range - ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock and MSi. All reliable manufacturers, all make great boards. I would compare them side-by-side. Focus on things you need, not things you'd like to do...someday. Here are some factors to consider when buying a motherboard:
  • what are the I/Os on the back panel? One may have 4 USBs plus an HDMI, where another may offer 6 USBs. Which is more important to you?

Since I am plugging my pc into my TV won't I plug the HDMI cable into the GPU instead of the motherboard?

Quote:
  • Where are the connectors for fans, power, and other cables? I love ASRock, but they had one board where all the PWM connectors were smack-dab in the middle of the board. No getting around hiding the cabling there.
  • What PCI connectors do you need and where are they located? You have a PCIex1 adapter but the only PCIex1 slot is right above the PCIex16 slot where the GPU will go, thus covering it up. Granted, you should be able to place the PCIex1 in any slot but who wants to put an x1 in the third x16 slot?
  • Speaking of GPU, where are the SATA connectors? It's very common to have SATA connectors covered by the end of a GPU. Are they right-angled? That may help.

• This is where you lose me. Remember I am new to this so I have no idea what you are talking about here. Sorry for my ignorance, I am sure it can be frustrating trying to explain something like this to me.
    Quote:
  • Last, read quality reviews and see what other people are saying. Are there a noticeable number of RMAs? If there are bad reviews, is the manufacturer responding? Though it may not be indicative of the actual customer support, it's better than seeing complaint after complaint with no outreach from the manufacturer.

• I have read reviews and have seen good things with an acceptable number of RMAs and good customer support.

Quote:
    Hope this helps.

It does. I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:28 pm 
    Smithfield
    Smithfield

Basically, all the peripherals except the monitor plug into the motherboard. Count how many you need to plug in and pick a motherboard based on that.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:01 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
    Basically, all the peripherals except the monitor plug into the motherboard. Count how many you need to plug in and pick a motherboard based on that.

Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad, Flash Drive, and have two extra just in case. That's about all I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 am 
    Smithfield
    Smithfield

I need to mention that these are internal and external peripherals. This includes expansion cards and storage drives.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:07 am 

I have updated my build a little.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
    Storage: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel
    Power Supply: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V 80+Gold
    Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM
    Total: $1,112.12

What do you think? If it's all good I will order tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm 
    Coppermine
    Coppermine

Everything is compatible and should work together. I guess you decided against the SSD?

Either way, enjoy and keep us posted on how the build goes!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:59 pm 

btdog wrote:
    Everything is compatible and should work together. I guess you decided against the SSD?

Either way, enjoy and keep us posted on how the build goes!

Yeah I had to remove the CPU cooler and SSD for now. $1112 is at the high end of my budget. I can't spend any more right now.
    After a few more paychecks I will get them.
    I have one other concern. I know everyone is arguing about Windows 8.1 vs 7, however I do wan't to play some of the older games that I had to play on console like Skyrim. I have read just about everywhere that many recent games, ~2-3 years or so old, do not run well if at all on windows 8. Even Microsoft's website says Skyrim is not compatible with windows 8.1.
    If all I am getting with Windows 8 is a 3 second faster boot time and 1-5 more fps then I don't thinks it is worth it to take the risk.
    Anyways Windows 8 just seems like a big risk when I could just get Windows 7 which I know works.
    Couldn't I just upgrade to windows 8 in a year or two when they fix everything(or just wait for windows 9 :))
    Also Skyrim is not the only older game I want to play it is just an easy example I also want to play new games to of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am 
    Sharptooth
    Sharptooth

Go for windows 7. Just make sure you hold off on the overclocking until you get the cpu cooler.
    Other wise Perfect build. Great bang for buck rig bro.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:55 pm 

Captain Crunch wrote:
    Go for windows 7. Just make sure you hold off on the overclocking until you get the cpu cooler.
    Other wise Perfect build. Great bang for buck rig bro.

Don't worry. I don't know much about all this stuff, but I will make sure not to overclock until I get a CPU cooler.
    I will go for Windows 7.
    Thank you all for your help. I will update once everything is up and running. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 pm 
    Smithfield
    Smithfield

Skyrim isn't compatible with Windows 8.1?...

Strange, I've been playing it several times in the past few weeks on my 8.1 machines.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:36 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
    Skyrim isn't compatible with Windows 8.1?...

Strange, I've been playing it several times in the past few weeks on my 8.1 machines.

That's what it says on Microsoft's site. I also have read far to many people having issues with recent games including Skyrim.
    With that said I have also seen a few people who have Skyrim working on their Windows 8.1 machines.
    However, far to many people are having issues for it to be just operator error.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm 
    Smithfield
    Smithfield

I mean, not trying to convince you to not get Windows 7, but I haven't ran into any program that Windows 8.1 just doesn't want to run. The only thing that came close was it telling me Games For Windows Live has issues on Windows 8

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
    I mean, not trying to convince you to not get Windows 7, but I haven't ran into any program that Windows 8.1 just doesn't want to run. The only thing that came close was it telling me Games For Windows Live has issues on Windows 8

I understand. However I just don't want to take the risk. I may "upgrade" sometime later if needed.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm 

So I got my parts today, however I will have to wait until the weekend to build it.
    My question is what is this middle standoff in my Corsair 200R? I have read it is an alignment pin to help you fit the motherboard properly. Since my motherboard has no hole in the middle wouldn't this middle pin touch the back of the motherboard and short it?
    Should I just remove it?