Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: my new build. newbie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 am 

this is the build im planning to buy in 2-3 weeks time
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3m6ge

what do you think guys? would you do any changes? i will be glad to read any opinion that you have got.
matt.

Post subject: Re: my new build. newbie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Good selection of parts there.

The only thing I would change is dropping the i7 to an i5-4670K since the i7 doesn't offer much more performance for the extra amount you pay and if you're only running your games at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, a GTX 770 would be of better overall value.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:26 am 

thanks for the reply. i was thinking about 4670k, because it is a brilliant pc and single core performance in benchmarks is almost the same as 4770k. the thing is, im planning to build more future proof pc and from what ive read there are games which start to use 8 threads and people say it is going to stay that way in a year or two. ive got that little extra money to spend, so i pushed my budget to the limit and decided to go for i7. surely i would be more than happy with the i5 too, but im going to stick with the i7. unless you see more room for improvement within i5-i7 price difference. i will be playing games at 1920 for the first 3-4 months but im planning to buy 27inch monitor with 2560x1440 resolution. but its the same story with gpu as it is with cpu. 770- great card in benchmarks and perfect buy for gaming(from what ive seen and read). 780-same as 770 + 1. 780ti - the best single gpu and since ive started reading and catching up with new components this one was my dream gpu.

ive never said what im going to use that build for:
- gaming (arma dayz, dayz standalone, skyrim, pro evolution soccer) and also new games which may come out in the next 2-3 years, ive heard rumors about fallout 4 ( im a big fan ofmrpg open world games) maybe new mass effect will come out too.
- music, music editing, movies, web browsing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For mostly gaming PCs, the CPU hardly ever needs upgrading these days. A i5 now should last through the better half the decade before seriously needing an upgrade. But this is assuming performance trends continue, we're supposed to hit the limit of silicon lithography by the end of the decade. It's mostly the video card that will need upgrading 2-3 years down the road.

The other stuff doesn't need that much power to perform well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:14 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
they are working on ME4. my ancient ass 9550 quad core is still able to handle the newer games, but video card is another story. I am running a evga 570 HD classified, and BF4 gives it a workout. enough so that I would like to upgrade, but wonder if a 770 or 680 would saturate the pcie2 slot. the i5 is the closest cpu to compare to mine, both are quad cores, and the i5 is very close to twice as fast or more in everything.