Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Video capturing equipment upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Forgive me if this is the wrong board. :oops:

I'm looking to upgrade my old TV tuner with something that will give me better quality. Right now I'm using a Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-150 with CyberLink PowerDirector 8. I'm using it to capture standard-def gaming content (example) via s-video and occasionally composite. The video it produces is a little choppier than the source material; what you see here is the best I could muster.

Right now I'm considering the Grass Valley Canopus ADVC110, based on this info/review and this test video. It captures in .avi instead of mpeg2 like my current hardware. However it's an external firewire device, and I'd like to stick to internal 32-bit PCI or PCIE, preferably the former. I'm currently editing in WinXP Pro but will likely need to edit in Win7 in the future. I'm generally happy with the software for my needs, but I might switch to Lightworks.

Any suggestions? Budget is about $150 for a new device, you might talk me into spending more.

Post subject: Re: Video capturing equipment upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're not using the capturing equipment as a TV tuner specifically, I'd look into AverMedia's stuff. They're popular amongst gamers for broadcasting and recording. The only issue with HDMI is that they're not HDCP compliant, so you can't view HDCP protected content. And I doubt there's a capture card that will allow you to do that because... that ruins the point of HDCP.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

For right now I'm going to be capturing strictly SD content (composite, svid, coax) and I'm not going to be doing any TV recording at all, so HDCP isn't an issue for now. That's why I'd like to stick with a 32-bit PCI card, so I can leave my sole PCIE slot open for the inevitable HD capture card (which I assume is done with component cables, not HDMI). If I can capture both SD and HD gaming at once in a single PCIE card and still get the quality I'm looking for, then of course that would be even better, but SD content is the priority.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll look into AverMedias equipment. Still open to suggestions. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's always Dazzle's stuff for SD content. It's a USB capture device and it takes in the usual composite/S-Video and stereo.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've looked at capture devices so I could finally offload some home videos on 8mm Hi8 cassettes. I think that the canopus ADVC was really good with ease of use and quality. The only thing holding me back is the price of $80 (used) up to around $150 (new). I think I might buy it new and sell it. They seem to keep their value and can be resold at least 60% of its value.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

@LatiosXT - Thanks for the input. I know Dazzles equipment is fairly popular among gamers, but from what I've seen it doesn't seem to produce any better quality than the hardware I currently have. I'm looking for something a little more professional-grade.

I'm been reading up on the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR C027. From the reviews on Newegg it sounds like the SD capture quality leaves a bit to be desired. It also seems to struggle with 1080i/1080p which I'd like to have in the future. I'll have to look more into it.

@phillyj - Wait, do you use the ADVC?

What I'm really looking for something pro-quality (h.264 or whatever) that captures SD with equivalent quality to the ADVC, but is internal (32-bit PCI) or a PCIE HD card that also captures SD with equivalent quality to the ADVC. Thank you for the input guys, still open to suggestions. =)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There are capture cards by Blackmagic that appears to be professional grade or at least "prosumer".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Treklink256 wrote:

@phillyj - Wait, do you use the ADVC?

What I'm really looking for something pro-quality (h.264 or whatever) that captures SD with equivalent quality to the ADVC, but is internal (32-bit PCI) or a PCIE HD card that also captures SD with equivalent quality to the ADVC. Thank you for the input guys, still open to suggestions. =)

Haven't got it yet. I have been looking to get one for a while. The Canopus ADVC is supposed to be better quality than PCIe TV tuner cards. My goal was to digitize some of the DV cassette tapes on my camcorder. It has a S-video out on it so I looked at TV tuners like Hauppauge (around $50-70 range) and the Canopus 110 (~$150 new, I think). Quality is an issue because I'm already going to lose quality in the conversion. It looks like a solid buy for my needs. I think it also works without a problem on linux (plug n play)