Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fresh build, keep getting 7e BSOD
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 pm 

I've built a few systems successfully in the past, but I am at a complete standstill with this one.
The build:(all parts bought based on high average newegg reviews and lowest tendency to be DOA)
ECS A990FXM-A AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GV-R726XWF2-2GD REV2 Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W 8-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9
Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
and a couple older high capacity WD hard drives I had lying around

Here's the rundown, I matched up all the parts, browsed the manuals, and slapped it all together. Before putting my win7 on the new ssd I got it to start up just fine off an os on one of the older hard drives and everything went great. I went to install win7 on my ssd and it blue screened while trying to boot the install file, and now I get the 7e BSOD from all other OS's loaded on any of my other drives. I have plenty of memory space, I've tried different video cards in different ports, changing boot orders in the bios. But I am yet to find a way to attempt to update the bios without having an operating system, there doesn't seem to be an option in any of the bios menus and I can't load anything off a flash drive off to update.

This is where I need help, is there anything else I can try that might be causing this, and is there any way for me to update my bios, (this ecs bios setup looks a lot different than what I am used to, but it seems to have all of the same options).
Thank you for your time, and I would love some help, because I'm out too much money to be sitting dead in the water.

Post subject: Re: Fresh build, keep getting 7e BSOD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So the interwebs tells me three things.

1. The hard drive or SSD where the OS is being stored is hosed. Access the recovery environment from Windows installation by clicking on "Repair this computer" when presented with installation options. If you don't have that, try pressing F8 when booting to see if a menu pops up. If it does, select "Repair this computer"

Either way, you need to open the command prompt and run CHKDSK on the drive.
  2. The BIOS has issues with your hardware. Go to ECS's website, look up the motherboard model, download the latest stable BIOS version (if it's beta, do not use it). If it works like any other BIOS updater, stick the files in the top directory of a thumb drive, insert the drive in the computer, boot it up into BIOS, and find the update BIOS option. It should find it on the thumb disk and take over from there.
  3. The drivers that Windows is using are hosed. This probably means whatever install media you have isn't working right, since there's no reason to install hard drive/SSD drivers anymore.