Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A little help on USB flash drives...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:13 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So, I decided rather randomly this morning to do a Newegg and Amazon search. Mostly because in the Newegg e-mail blast that came in at some point this morning, there was a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive that's very tiny from Mushkin.

Is there a flash drive like that, but in a larger quantity? Say... 128GB or 256GB?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to use one of these to act as an operating system flash drive for Ubuntu or some other variant of Linux on a GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.

I don't really want a spinning hard drive for the OS. I'd like to reduce noise as much as possible for a guest PC running in Kiosk mode in my home. Then again... an SSD would do the job equally as well and be equally as silent. Thoughts on that?

The only issue is of course, price. But I don't think that's a major issue, really so long as I ensure the OS is able to boot and whatnot.

Then again... maybe a 64GB to 256GB SSD would do. Looking at prices for the SSDs that're roughly around 64GB on Newegg, they seem to be roughly equivalent to flash drive pricing.

So. That said... what's the best 64GB fl... er, SSD for the price/performance ratio? It needs to be as fast as possible. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money so... roughly up to $100, is easily doable. I might be able to stretch it to $200, but that's really iffy.

Post subject: Re: A little help on USB flash drives...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You could always get an SSD with a 2.5" enclosure. It's effectively the same thing. But if you're making a "kiosk" or guest build, you can stick with a lower capacity drive to be honest. Linux doesn't take up that much space and if it's just there to run programs and not store data, you don't need that much space.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
You could always get an SSD with a 2.5" enclosure. It's effectively the same thing. But if you're making a "kiosk" or guest build, you can stick with a lower capacity drive to be honest. Linux doesn't take up that much space and if it's just there to run programs and not store data, you don't need that much space.

Hmm. Point. I do know that Linux doesn't take up much space. Mostly though, I also want the guest computer to also serve some additional functions when it's not actively serving someone.

That was the idea in getting an SSD with a 2.5" enclosure. I'm fairly sure the Rosewill Line-M case I have has an SSD mount that I can use. Just gotta double-check it. The question at this point is... what's the fastest SSD available at roughly 64GB? I may as well buy a 64GB SSD, as I imagine it'll get years of use before I need to replace it. It should at least provide me with a comfortable margin for space if I need to turn off the kiosk mode.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Eh, I wouldn't really worry about speed, especially if you're on USB anyway. Personally I think the charm of an SSD is its access time moreso its transfer rate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:03 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't really worry about speed, especially if you're on USB anyway. Personally I think the charm of an SSD is its access time moreso its transfer rate.

I see. Alright. Who's the best manufacturer of SSDs these days? I know Intel usually has awesome SSDs, at least so says MaxPC but they don't seem to sell any at 64GB capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Samsung is the other company that gets really good marks. OCZ and Crucial are also up there. For everyone else, I think if you've seen their name elsewhere, I don't think you have a reason to worry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
Samsung is the other company that gets really good marks. OCZ and Crucial are also up there. For everyone else, I think if you've seen their name elsewhere, I don't think you have a reason to worry.

Got it. Thanks for the quick responses and comments. :3

Have a good one!