Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on "uber builds" and whatnot
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Probably just me reacting to the recent posts about people wanting to spend $2000+ on a build that'll last them 5-6 years. So if you're considering an uber build, I'd like you to read this moreso for a data point if not just to try to see another perspective.

I don't like people spending grandiose amounts of money for an "ultra super powerful" build. Computers are still one of those things that are evolving at a pretty rapid pace compared to other forms of technology. For instance, sure, it took Intel three years to release a processor that can go toe-to-toe with the i7-980X at a reasonable price, but in that time frame, USB 3.0, PCI Express 3.0, SATA 6Gbps, mSATA, are all natively supported by the newer platforms.

I honestly think it's better to get bank for the buck parts because even though the upgrade cycle is shorter (roughly every two years is a good time to think about building anew), I've never had to spend more than $1500 on a build. The total bill on my last builds were $850, $1200, $700-$800 in two-three year upgrade cycles. Admittedly I recycled the GPU, HDD, and SSD whenever I could, but I was able to pawn off the previous builds since I had a fair accumulation of spare parts. So in the span of about 6-7 years, I've spent no more than $3000 total for brand new builds, and that's not factoring that I've sold a few of them. And I've gotten to enjoy the benefits of newer technologies (USB3.0 for instance, is a godsend over 2.0 since I have an external drive I use as a backup).

Gaming is also one of those things that are more GPU biased. In fact, it's mostly GPU biased. You can still achieve 60FPS with maximum details on a Core i3 if you pair it up with a fast enough video card. I mean, look at the current generation consoles. The XB1 and PS4 are using netbook class processors.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on "uber builds" and whatnot
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:06 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Plus, now looks like the time when people seem to post about new builds. Where are people getting all this cash? It just seems selfish to me to spend many thousands on a PC. A company I work with uses a $7000 PC for bioinformatics. That justifies the money. The last computer our family had was used for 8 years. I used it all thru school and college.

The best way to approach building is to correctly future proof it. This means that you get parts that will last and are not affected by changes in technology. For example, a good roomy case will last many many years. A high end GPU should last you many years until some big advances are made in gaming tech. So build yourself that $1k to $2k PC now. Save the rest for incremental upgrades and fixes as necessary. You should get a good powerful machine that will stay relevant for years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I feel I should comment in favor of the people building uber builds.

First, we're all in the same boat. They're not buying Macs, they're building computers - they are one of us. If they pump money into their DIY, and they're supporting computer vendors like you and I do, then they are helping promote our trade, our hobby, our passion.

I don't know why they would want to spend so much on a computer. Maybe they get to do this once every 5 years; perhaps they are doing it for bragging rights to their friends; maybe they received a nice refund (that time of year) and decided to treat themselves. I have no clue. As long as it's not illegally gotten gains, I don't care. Jealous? Sure. But I'm not going to stop them.

Second, there is NO way to future-proof your computer. Period. Technology changes, equipment fails, standards change, drivers or software become obsolete. Can you re-use parts? Yes. Can you re-purpose computers? Absolutely. One of the biggest drawbacks (and one of the best things) about computers is that technology forges ahead. Computers get bigger, smaller, faster, more power efficient, quieter, cooler, sleeker, costlier, cheaper all the time.

Personally, I enjoy finding the biggest bang-for-buck. If someone posts a $1300 build and I can shave $200 off that sticker price (and get them an equivalent build), I'm pretty happy. I've said it before, the biggest challenge in building is getting the best computer possible for the least amount of money.

Now, if someone states something that just won't happen, like "I want to pass this computer down to my future grandkids" or "I want a GPU that will play Metro: Last Light at max settings and only costs $75", then I feel we should point out that it's wishful thinking and it won't happen.

But let's not discourage someone else from enjoying the same thing we do. For most people, building a MaximumPC-esque computer is a one time deal. Let them have their fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

To me, it's about building the computer. It's not so much what's inside the computer that I care about, but the fact that I can build it. It's like people with cars. Building a car is a project in and of itself, but they're not trying to recreate a McLaren F1.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

btdog wrote:
I feel I should comment in favor of the people building uber builds.

First, we're all in the same boat. They're not buying Macs, they're building computers - they are one of us. If they pump money into their DIY, and they're supporting computer vendors like you and I do, then they are helping promote our trade, our hobby, our passion.

Hmm. It's a plug-n-play hobby from what I see on most "help me build" posts. Now, if someone wanted to spend a certain amount of money with custom cooling loops, case mods, etc., I would say that is a hobby. It's probably like the difference between someone who gets expensive rims for a showcar versus someone who gets expensive lightweight rims to improve racing times on the track.

You can learn just as much building a $1k PC as a $5k PC. It's not the parts but what you do with it. For example, learning how to hook up SSD+HDD, raid arrays, watercooling, overclocking, etc.