Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ATI vrs Nvida what is the real difference ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 am 

I am very new to the concept of building a gaming PC as my family runs macs and mot of my gaming has been on an xbox but from the reading I have done here so far it looks to me like just like the OS wars there are folks that are just as passionate about who built the chipset for their graphics card.

So is there a real difference between the companies and their products?

If the mother board chipset and processor are by Intel does that mean one should prefer an Nvida card?
And conversely if you go with an AMD processor and chip set will that then work better with ATI graphics cards?

If you buy a mother board from ASUS should you then get an ASUS graphics card?

Apologies if this is too much of a beginner question but before I go max out my credit card at new egg I would like to know if staying In one companies product line will mean fewer incompatible hardware problems.

Cheers
Windy99

Post subject: Re: ATI vrs Nvida what is the real difference ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Computer hardware is agnostic to whatever you put in it, as long as it works with the interface. So no, there's no benefit to sticking an NVIDIA card in an Intel board or an AMD card in an AMD board or any loss going the other way. And no, you do not need an ASUS motherboard to work with an ASUS graphics card.

As far as the two companies themselves, there's really no real difference. It's like trying to compare say a 350HP car from a Japanese company vs a 350HP car from an American company. For all intents and purposes, they perform the same. They just have little nuances that achieve the same goal. Because in computers, in the end, it's all about performance. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
Computer hardware is agnostic to whatever you put in it, as long as it works with the interface. So no, there's no benefit to sticking an NVIDIA card in an Intel board or an AMD card in an AMD board or any loss going the other way. And no, you do not need an ASUS motherboard to work with an ASUS graphics card.

That is true. There is no problem with mixing and matching video cards and mobos. In Windows, you will have almost no problems.

But, if you play around with linux for things other than basic web surfing, etc., then you have to consider the drivers. With linux, AMD drivers can be more flaky than Nvidia but I hear they are fixing the issues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:33 pm 

Thanks for the Linux tip Philly, while I am building this PC to play things like Elder Scrolls Online at max graphics and on a pair of 1920x1200 displays I want down the line to fiddle with Linux .

I do wish the reviews touched on how cards worked with MULTI display use with MMOs as I sort of have to guess a bit when the reports mostly deal with other sorts of games and single monitor usage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Most games don't have multi-monitor support without the use of AMD's EyeFinity or NVIDIA's Surround. And even then at the minimum you need 3 monitors. The reason is mostly because there's really only one render screen for games and having a deadzone in the middle of two monitors is really awkward.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:33 pm 

Thanks latos I did not know that... Back to the drawing board does either Nvida or ATI do a better job of spreading one play space over the required 3 monitors?

so I need to support 3 24inch monitors... That would be tough to fit on the desk.... Could drop it back to 3 17 to 19 inch monitors I guess and they would fit if they had very thin side bezels

I suppose I could go with a 30+ inch wide screen display and do it on the single screen of something like 4,000 x 2400 I guess I need to go and see what 30to 35" monitors have for res specs and then find a graphics card to drive it and then work out the rest of the specs from there
Once again thanks for setting me straight.

Any further advice gratefully received on this project.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What are you really aiming for? If you're multitasking, get a larger primary monitor and a smaller secondary monitor. If you're seeking resolution, then a single panel would probably better than three at once.

Also, and I'm not sure if it's just me or certain graphics cards, but having three monitors in one video card prevents it from idling completely, so it sits rather warm when it's at the desktop. For whatever reason, two doesn't show this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 am 

I was thinking of getting a more immersive gaming experience with surround sound 6-1 but what you have shown me is that I may be better off with a single large screen.

I had thought to off load the online stuff to an iPad to be active on things like game forums while I played. Alt tabing out for that sort of thing is a royal pain but I guess I could have a smaller 17 inch moniter next to the big screen ... 2550 by 1600 I think from what I am reading I will need to drop over $300 for a video card to drive a main screen that size to highest quality for games like ESO is that right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I have a GTX 670, which is about as good as GTX 760 and it plays most games at 2560x1440 pretty well. So that sounds about right.