Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2012 mid range gaming build needs upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:31 am 

This is my current build that I made back in 2012. It was my first build but surprisingly I haven't had a single issue with it. Currently on Wow, i'm running on fair/good graphics well, around 60 fps. At worst, after my upgrade I would like to run high settings flawlessly, in battle and in cities. Running on ultra in wow and other games would be amazing if it's within my price range ($300ish). But my question is, can I just throw in a new graphics card or am I going to need to upgrade mobo, ram, or processor as well to accommodate it? I've lost a lot of knowledge of building since I put it together and couldn't locate anything specific in my build since it's basically a Frankenstein. I haven't tinkered with any overlooking because it makes me nervous but if that could get me to my goal without a whole lot of risk, I would be willing to research and try that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I really hope this is the right forum for this, I'm new around here. 

Signed,

A building nub 

Graphics: 300VGA XFX HD-679X-ZDFC HD6790 1GB R

Mobo: MB MSI 870A-G54 AM3 R

Op system: MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM -

CPU: AMD PH II X4 965 3.4G AM3 RT

Memory: 4Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRLHDD

Hard drive: 1.5T ST ST1500DL003 5.9K % - OEM

Cooling: 5 x 120mm fans

Post subject: Re: 2012 mid range gaming build needs upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:57 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The first thing I'd see about upgrading is the GPU. After that, it'd be more worth while to get a new motherboard/CPU than finding a new CPU which might not offer that much better performance.

Post subject: Re: 2012 mid range gaming build needs upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:35 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
But my question is, can I just throw in a new graphics card or am I going to need to upgrade mobo, ram, or processor as well to accommodate it?

To answer this question: No, you don't need to upgrade anything if you replace the graphics card. You will need to uninstall the GPU. And uninstall the driver software. Make sure you download the most recent drivers for you new GPU prior to making the switch.

And if you stick with AMD, make sure you get a decent price (they're currently in high demand because of bitcoin mining, so read some reviews to find out what the original MSRP pricing is). For example, the r9 280X had an original MSRP of $300 but miners have moved the purchase price to ~$400. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying a premium for a GPU just because miners want it.

While it's long in the tooth the PII x4 965 is still a decent CPU. If you would like to try overclocking, search the internet using your CPU and motherboard in the terms. There are several youtube videos that provide a pretty good demonstration of how to do it. If you do want to OC, I would suggest getting a better CPU cooler. There's several Artic CPU coolers that are pretty cheap and are much better than the stock one.

My only other suggestion is maybe trying an SSD. While it won't improve in-game play, per se, it will add new pep to your system.

Hope this helps.