Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can i use this PC as a basis for a gaming build?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:20 pm 

Hi guys and girls,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question!

I really want to get into PC gaming, as it's clear what the benefits are over console. Also, its PCs and hardware etc, are actually quite interesting.

I want to buy a gaming desktop, and my limit would be about £440. I have a few in mind, but a friend has given me this desktop http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-50 ... k/p1119131

My question is, could I use this desktop as a start to a gaming pc build? By that I mean could it easily be taken apart, and add an i5 processor for example, and a total of 4/8gb of ram, and a good graphics card?

If the anwer to these is nah mate, can anyone recommend a system? I have a few in mind, a couple from chillblast seem like a good idea. But I'm new this stuff so I know that I actually have no idea what I'm doing haha, even though youtube has an incredible amount of stuff on this topic.

Cheers, Connor

Post subject: Re: Can i use this PC as a basis for a gaming build?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

All it needs is a graphics card, like a GeForce GTX 760. The power supply may need upgrading, but it depends on what it's capable of outputting and if you have enough plugs to support the GPU.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I want to buy a gaming desktop, and my limit would be about £440. I have a few in mind, but a friend has given me this desktop http://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-50 ... k/p1119131

My question is, could I use this desktop as a start to a gaming pc build?

I need a little clarification: do you have £440 AFTER you have received the desktop, or do you have less? If you have the full £440, then buy a decent 600w PSU (like this Corsair 600w) and use the remainder to buy the best possible GPU available. If not, then your options become a little more limited.

To LatiosXT's point, you have 8GB of RAM which is enough for gaming; and while an i3 is not the sexiest, it is a pretty fast i3 and will do perfectly well for a gaming desktop since most games utilize a single-thread from the processor.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 am 

Thats a good question, originally I was just going to buy a £400 laptop for normal work, but then I got into this stuff. So I would have £400 to spend on upgrading the current PC, but I think I may prefer to spend that much money on a custom build.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The unfortunate thing with custom built is you need to include the OS in your cost if you don't have an OS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The HP site is seriously lacking on technical specs so I can't see the PSU watt rating. I think you should be able to open up the side panel and just read what it says on your PSU. I'm going to guess it might be a 300-400W unit. You would need to make sure it has space for a non-HP PSU. I am not sure if HP is build things with proprietary sizes nowadays.

So if you can upgrade, you can get a $50-70 PSU from a reputable brand. Then get a new GPU for about $200.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
You would need to make sure it has space for a non-HP PSU. I am not sure if HP is build things with proprietary sizes nowadays.

HP stopped using proprietary PSUs ages ago. I believe you should be able to use a standard PSU as a replacement. For example, according to this spec sheet for the HP desktop, the PSU has the same dimensions as this Corsair 430W PSU.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

btdog wrote:
HP stopped using proprietary PSUs ages ago. I believe you should be able to use a standard PSU as a replacement. For example, according to this spec sheet for the HP desktop, the PSU has the same dimensions as this Corsair 430W PSU.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, ok. I didn't see that page when I looked. Is there a GPU that will fit with a 300W PSU? I am guess there isn't, unless the new Nvidia GTX 750Ti will do.

What games is the OP planning to play anyway? We didn't get any details but if he wants a gtx 760, he would need to get a new psu of minimum 500W.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phillyj wrote:
What games is the OP planning to play anyway? We didn't get any details but if he wants a gtx 760, he would need to get a new psu of minimum 500W.

That's just what it says on the box. You can get away with 300W if OP doesn't plan on upgrading the machine any further.