Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is the MSI B85-G41 a decent stable board?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:49 am 

I'm sorry if you keep seeing me here asking the hard questions, but I wanted to throw this out there, before I attempt the same Mobo build.

As some of you familiar with my postings, I just bought a MSI B85-G41, but I don't GAME, or OVERCLOCK .
I primarily use Photoshop CS5 Extended, and video editing with Pinnacle Studio 15 HD Ult. (I'm hoping this B85 chipset will be fine)
I don't know what benefits if any, I would get with the Z87 Chipset.

(This new build consists of the i7 4770 Haswell, 16 GB DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX-650 (1mb) a regular 1280X1024 20" Viewsonic Widescreen, (BUT, I would love a 22"-24" IPS LED HD monitor and a GTX-770 (4GB), but too expensive.

So given my specs, does it really matter if I get a B85, or Z87 1150 Chipset? Are there any major differences, if I don't game?
Thanks!
Have a nice Day!

Post subject: Re: Is the MSI B85-G41 a decent stable board?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

At times like this, rather than fishing in a near dead lake for someone who has a specific part, why not use a search engine?

MSI is one of the still recommended manufacturers, but that's really all you have to go by.

Post subject: Re: Is the MSI B85-G41 a decent stable board?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:00 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Unless you want to OC, or use Intel RST (onboard RAID) or SRT (poor man's hard drive cache) then there is little difference.

While a rock stable OC always makes sense to me on large video editing it is not that big a gain. The CPU is the predominant power behind Photoshop and video editing, with generally no real contribution by the GPU. That, however, is evolving.

I will say I think presently a GTX770 is overkill for video editing and I am not even sure if Pinnacle uses (or uses much) parallel processing capabilities of the GPU. I note Adobe has expanded their parallel processing routines for GPUs and undoubtedly this trend will (forgive the pun) accelerate. But you can always buy a great card when such routines are present and firmly established as beneficial.

Looks like a quality board to me. Not sure why you are asking after the purchase though.