Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What motherboard and processor might I need
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:48 pm 

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions on a replacement motherboard and processor I would need for an existing case?

My current PC is about 3 or 4 years old and consists of an ASUS P6T motherboard and an Intel Core i7 processor. My Ultra case, fans, power supply, 1 GB WD hard drive and Radeon PCI-E graphics card all seem to be in good working order but my system is crashing about once a week with a machine check that I believe could be processor related. At this point, I've put out some inquiries to try to figure out what might be causing the error and what might resolve the issue but if it comes down to the wire I may simply opt to replace the motherboard and processor and attempt to salvage the case, power supply, graphics card and perhaps the hard drive. If I'm correct the P6T required an ATX case but I've been out of the loop (I'm now retired) for so long I don't have a clue what might be a suitable replacement board and processor. I would like a board that is UEFI based vs. BIOS based, has built in USB 3.0 ports and had high speed SATA ports that would support a SSD as my primary drive if I were to decide to go in that direction. While I would want all of this cool stuff I need the price point to be somewhere in the middle of the road as I am retired and on a fixed income. Can someone provide me with some advice? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: What motherboard and processor might I need
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:55 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, what's the absolute most you want to/can spend?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Well, what's the absolute most you want to/can spend?

Well, I would l like to keep the cost of the motherboard and CPU below $500 to $600 and even less if I could have a replacement PC that's equivalent to or better than what I have now. Also I failed to mention the my existing memory is DDR3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with a Core i5-4570 should be a really good pair. But look into other boards. As long as you stick around $100-$150 with ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, or MSI, you can't go wrong.