Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about Haswell i5 i7 differences in my build
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm 

Hello,

I have decided to build my first computer. I am planning to game quite a bit- diablo 3 reaper of souls, WoW, LoL, Heroes of the Storm, etc., I am also still a college student, and tinker around with photoshop and cinema 3D.

I am on a budget of about 1250 max, and would prefer to stay below that, but can definitely exceed it if absolutely necessary.

Currently, my build is as follows:
Case- Corsair 550R
Mobo- MSI Z87-G45
GPU- MSI GTX 760 GAMING
CPU- i5-i7 either K or no K
PSU- Corsair CX series 750w
RAM- Gskill Sniper Series 8GB (2x 4GB)
Storage- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" HDD
Storage- Samsung 840 series 250 GB SSD

I have talked to just about every tech shop in town, and they all gave me split answers about i5 vs i7.

My idea is to "future proof“ so I don't have to spend a fortune in the next 3-4 years (I don't necessarily consider a new processor a fortune, but I want to make sure whatever I buy, that it lasts as long as possible and doesn't prove to be slow to any of the tasks that I want to do.

I have researched hyper threading, know that the i7 has more cache, much I am not sure how to translates into REAL WORLD encounters on the computer- as benchmark tests, to me, are quite vague and don't provide that sort of information.

Should I save 100$ and get the unclockable i5? Or splurge and go for the clockable i7 in hopes that is lasts longer than the i5 in terms of keeping up with the tech game?

If you haven't figured it out already, I knew new to this, so I am not even end up overclocking. However,I have a couple of friends who are quite versed in this sort of thing, and they all tell me to go with the i5k because the i7 is unnecessary in what I want to do.I am quite competent and a quick learner, so if I need to OC, I will do plenty of research on how to properly do it- I just don't know for sure if it is worth an extra 100.

If the i5 k or no k lasts me 3-4 years and will be fast with the HDD and SSD hookup, then I will go with that. If I overestimate how well the i5 performs, that would be something good to know.

If you have recommendations for a change in the build or which processor I should choose ( haswell- i5, i5k, i7, i7k), I would greatly appreciate it.

The machine will primarily be for gaming and school tasks- so I doubt I will take advantage of the Hyper Threading feat THAT often, but it is possible that in the future I will do it more.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Question about Haswell i5 i7 differences in my build
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The i7 doesn't provide enough of a performance boost regardless to justify a nearly 50% price increase. The best you'll get is around 10%-15% in specific cases. And all in all, it depends on what you're doing. If you're playing games, then you'll get practically zero improvement.