Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installed new build, no power!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:56 am 

New~
MSI B85-G41 PC Mate (flimsy board)
I7 4770 3.4
Intel stock CPU fan...piece of crap
16 GB DDR3 (1600-12800)
Seasonic S12g 550W PSU
EVGA GTX-750 (1GB) GPU. I wanted more but $$$
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
WD 500GB HDD
ASUS 24x DVD/CD burner

Ok, I finished installing everything, (except the GPU) it stated I have to update the bios, before installing, really?

I had a problem With the CoolerMaster Hyperlink 212 tower, 1150 socket was a small after thought on the box, but the original print had all sockets listed except for the 1150. I still had a problem with the small pin on the bottom of the CPU cooler that after the middle pin got into the hole, that small 1/8" pin on the left side caused the cross bracket not to fit. I cleaned off thermal paste, and just used the Intel stock fan.

When finished, I just happened to spin the CPU stock fan blade and the blades were hitting the aluminum heat sink, played with a while and now it's intermittent, (but not under power) It may free itself, hopefully.

Ok moment of truth arrived, I powered it on, then nothing. I checked all the wires again. Maybe it's the 7 year CoolerMaster 690, but in looking at the MSI B85-G41 board, it has a 9 pin JFP1, and a 7 Pin JFP1, which I'm not using.

Have a nice Day!

Last edited by rivrbyte on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Installed new build, no power!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:13 pm 

No power, so I hooked new Seasonic PSU to my old MSI P-35, and board light went on, so it's not the power unit..good!
Knowing I have power, and checking the other side panel and saw 6 stand screws, so I know that can't be shorting out the Mobo.

Thinking now it's not the ground or PSU, there's got to be something going on with the Mobo. So I went over my whole system again, flipped the switch and now at least the fans spin up, then shut down one second later, using the case power button, but reset button did not work.
So I went over the JFP1 header illustration on page En-20, the MSI Manual for this B85-G41, and in looking at these pins, switch

JFP1 is a 10 pin ( less one #9 reserved)
Looking head on with the top left,
-------------------------
+ - + -
Power LED / Power Switch
--------------------------------
+ - - +
HDD LED / Reset Switch
---------------------------------
I noticed on the back of the NEG pins, there is a small arrow. According to the illustration:
~On the top row (4 pins) it's-
PLUS/MINUS then PLUS/MINUS
~On the bottom row (5 pins) it's-
PLUS/MINUS then MINUS PLUS.
I just flipped the reset pair over so now it's +\- & -\+.
So the fan powers up just for a second, then shuts off.
Now what could be going on?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:23 pm 

Previously, CPU fan spun then shut off.
Today, I removed all my Sata drives,ODD drives, left one memory stick in, the 3rd party 3.0 multi-port bay adapter to 3.0 header plug,turned on, the 24 pin ATX, and the 4+4 CPU pwr plug, same problem.

So I unplugged the 3.0 multi-port bay adapter, and it Powered up and stayed on. I shut system off, unplugged power cord, and cleared CMOS. I hit the power switch and now it's all DEAD.

I plugged in another PSU - CoolerMaster 550W, and still nothing.

I called MSI, he told me the small arrow on the back of the pwr Sw, pwr led,HDD Sw, HDD led were negative, and had them in position as above.

Going though the manual page EN-20, under Important, it states that the Artie's are Positive.

So the only thing I have connected are these:
24 ATX PWR.
4+4 CPU PWR
One stick of Ram
And the JFP1.....dead.

To jump the power switch, a screwdriver across the POWER SWITCH - Top two pins?

Only stuff on is this:
MSI B85-G41 PC Mate
Seasonic S12G 550W PSU
8GB crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600
24 ATX, and 4+4 CPU Pwr
JFP1

I also plugged PSU into old MSI Platinum, and fired up, so very doubtful it's the PSU.
So basically, the fan spun a half a second, I removed the 3.0 multi port, it fired right up, I shut down, restarted again, and now there is Nothing.

My old MSI P-35 is 7 years old and I have never had one problem with it, just needed to do an upgrade. I haven't tried ASUS , or Gigabyte. I m not a gamer or overclock, so I don't need a too high end of a Mobo, fort what I do. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:37 pm 

AND THE LATEST...
After repeatedly testing ONLY these installed components,
(JFP1 pinheads, 24 ATX 24 power, 4+4 CPU power, and one stick of ram) by jumping the two top right pins for the POWER SWITCH, neg / pos, No power!

Then I removed the Mobo from the case, and tried the same thing OUTSIDE the case, on a non-conductive surface, and again...NADA.

So I'm getting this board RMA'D from Newegg.

This could be a coinkydink, or maybe the reason the Mobo stopped working all together, but like I said previously in one of my posts, when the CPU fan spun then abruptly stopped, this time I then unplugged the 3.0 plug that goes into the 3.0. Header just below the ATX header, (for my 3rd party multi- port 3.0/2.0 Bay slot, since this old case doesn't have 3.0 in the front.
*Once removed, the fans fired right up and stayed on until I shut it off.

I turned it on again, but no power at all, and that's when I started jumping pins in and out of the case. Could something like that short anything?
Anyway, when I get the new board, this time I'm going to add piece then check, until hopefully, it will all work together.
The standoffs did not come with my board, I used my other MSI P-35's standoff, so I'm guessing they are all universal in size to be flush with the I/O shield.

Did I miss anything?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:50 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Eliminate the possibility of a short to case via a minimal external build (breadboard, see link). A minimal build becomes a good convenient test bed.

BTW, nice though frustrating job of troubleshooting so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Keep up the good troubleshooting!

I realize how frustrating it can be when you can't get a simple POST from a new computer (trust me, I've been there and so have many other people). I can offer two pieces of advice:

• If you're running in circles, walk away and take a breather. Maybe a day, or an afternoon. But do something else to clear your mind.
  • If all else fails, find a local computer shop and ask that they diagnose the problem. Admit you're stuck and you can't figure it out. In most cases they'll charge about $50 and will often explain what they did and what they found. ASK questions - this is when you learn. I've done this before and I can guarantee it has been the best money I invested in some of my first builds.

Hope this helps.