Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What do I charge to build a pc?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:01 pm 

PC's are my hobby. I'm not a guru by any means. I've built myself 2 PC's and upgrade them with better SSD's and GPU's as needed. Built PC's for family and and a couple close friends as well. Now I'm starting to get calls from friends of friends and friends of family, that I don't know at all, who want me to build them a PC. They don't understand the research and time it takes to actually build a PC for someone that will fit their needs but stay in budget at the same time. So I'm going to charge them. I charged my family and close friends a case of beer to build them a PC. For people that I don't know, I want to make some cold, hard, cash. Problem is, I have no clue what people charge to build a PC. I'm thinking of charging them $X/hr for research, $X to put it together, and $X/hr to install/update drivers and software. As well as throw in programs such as CCleaner and Malwarebytes and some other freeware that they should use to keep their PC running smoothly, and teach them how to use it. Is my method of charge wrong? Should it just be a flat fee? I will only build a home PC or a gaming PC, nothing they are going to run a business off of or anything like that. I don't want to be responsible for lost data because they didn't backup their drive. What would be an acceptable amount/way to charge?

Post subject: Re: What do I charge to build a pc?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For building a PC, I would charge a flat rate. Chances are, you already got this down to a T and the success rate of first power on is pretty good. And you must at least guarantee them a working PC that they can turn on and not worry about anything (the "OEM guarantee" as I like to call it)

If they want troubleshooting and service, you should charge them hourly. I wouldn't be a jerk about it, just do minimum wage if this is a side job.

Do note that you're also legally supposed to report this as income to the IRS. But I wouldn't really worry about it if it's just the equivalent of pocket change.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I agree. Flat fee to build it, hourly if they want support or troubleshooting services.

I would definitely determine what kind of "guarantee" you're willing to offer and make sure they understand what that is and there are no exceptions. Of course, you can enforce your policy as you see fit, but some people will blame everything on the "computer."

Let us know how it turns out. Maybe post a few pictures of your recent builds - I like seeing what other people are building.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:12 pm 

I charge parts cost plus 20% for most systems I build but can go up to 30% if there is more required in terms of cable management, extra gpu's custom builds are even more if I have to make custom shields, boxes etc to make the interior a thing of beauty. For the extra stuff I track hours and charge for the time spent.