Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ? Installing PSW, and RAM on NU MSI B85-G41
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 pm 

? Installing PSW, and RAM on NU MSI B85-G41

Hello,
I have posted many posts about suggestive parts for my new build computer, and have graciously received many replies, and thank you! Now, I have all my parts, and need some clarification on the step-by-step process. And yes, I have turned to Newegg and Youtube videos for tutorials on "how to build a PC from scratch", but it seems there are many differences from one video to the next.

It has been seven years since I built my last MSI P-35 Platinum 775, and after reading most of these part instructions for this build so far, seems to have way more warnings and processes to follow, than my last time...knock on non-conductive wood, but I guess I did something right the last time, because this present computer is running top shape, other than the 7 year old Intel Q6600 2.4, the 8GB DDR2, a 7 year old Thermaltake toughpower 700w...but I need to upgrade.

SSD: Samsung 250GB SSD

PSU:
To clear this all up, Does it matter exactly when I should install the PSU...anytime, or after everything is ready to be powered up? Because of the STATIC ISSUE, I DO I have an ANTI-STATIC Wrist band. Some say to install the PSU first, then don't plug the computer's power to on, another site, said to install the PSU with temp ground install screws, then when done, replace the regular install screws in. ( I bought a Seasonic S12G Gold Plus-80 550W ) I don't know if the factory PSU has any electric charge that can ruin any components.

I was going to install EVERYTHING FIRST, then INSTALL the Power Supply LAST....is this WRONG?

CPU FAN:
I have a Coolermaster HYPER212 CPU HeatSink, and I will install the underside Mounting bracket, should i do this FIRST, then install CPU,then attach the Cooler on top of the CPU, then continue with the build?

RAM:
According the MSI manual, I am to place each of the DDR3 8GB Ram ( I only have two ) in DIMM #2, and DIMM #4 BLACK, but on another site, it said to install in DIMM #1, then 3, BLUE, or else the computer won't boot.

If anyone knows of a "Step by Step" new PC Desktop instructional Video, or text, please let me know.

If there are any other precautions on setting up this board, like any changes in the Bios, also let me know.
Thank you for everything?

Post subject: Re: ? Installing PSW, and RAM on NU MSI B85-G41
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

PSU: Install it whenever you want, but don't plug anything in until the rest of the hardware is mounted first.
CPU cooler: Install the CPU first, often the backplate needs to be installed with the cooler.
RAM: Try either one. If it doesn't work, then it's the other one c: