Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Power PC Build thoughts/suggestions? Large budget pc
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey everyone. Put together a pc build recent and was wondering what people think.

Link to pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ZnfU

PC with a huge budget for me this time around. All the builds I've done in the past I've felt I had skimmed on something, not this time! How's it look?

A few notes:

Parts:

-I actually already own windows 7, so I'll just the one I have.
-The PSU I was looking at into on the site. It's the Corsair HX1050-1050W.
-I plan to add Roswell media card reader: (http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-5-25-Inc ... +5.25+inch)

Other:

-I've never done a system with liquid cooling/SLI. Was debating ordering this exact pc through a prebuilt site, but it's about 30% more from one.

-I will be using this PC for gaming and streaming said games. I'm currently on 1080p but I want to upgrade to 4k once more monitors become available. The most graphically intense thing I can think of that I'll probably be playing will be star citizen.

-As for the SSD being 480GB as opposed to just 256GB. I plan on playing a few mmos (wildstar and EQnext upon launch), cs:go, star citizen, and various other games. Right now on my current computer I'm sitting at about 190GB of used space, and that's with transferring downloads and non programs over to my second HDD about once a week. I feel the extra space will, for the cost, be worth it for me to not have to micromanage what I have installed so intensively.

Post subject: Re: Power PC Build thoughts/suggestions? Large budget pc
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh boy, the sky's the limit!

I'd say go big or go home with an i7-4960X system then.

And you're really going to put that in a dinky MidATX case?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I plan to try for the case. Using a full tower right now and I'm not a huge fan. Prebuilt sites are able to fit all this into that exact case, hopefully I can?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:52 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Oh boy, the sky's the limit!

I'd say go big or go home with an i7-4960X system then.

And you're really going to put that in a dinky MidATX case?

The 550D is not even close to 'dinky' It's not as tall as the Antec 900, but it's longer & wider, and comes in at 3,545 cubic inches compared to just 2,891 cubic inches for the 900. Plenty of room for just about any decent build.

Here's mine after I built my gaming rig & that's a full-ATX motherboard.... though now the case is doing duty as a file server since the Kraken X60 doesn't fit properly.

No reason to go LGA-2011 unless you're doing LOTS of video editing &/or 3D content creation. There's no advantage in it for 99.5% of users, and quite a few disadvantages.... 4770k is the right route for most.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well here's the question we should be asking OP: are you trying to build the Dream Machine, or do you want the most bang for your buck? If you're trying to build the Dream Machine, it pretty much is a go-big-or-go-home schema. Buy the best of the best that you can get.

But if we're going for bang-for-buck:
  • The Core i5-4670K is a better deal. The i7-4770K barely improves performance for gaming tasks and it will buy you at best something like 10% or so with video editing tasks. All for a $100 price increase. You can overclock the 4670K anyway to improve its performance even further.
  • You can still be fine with 8GB of RAM. Most games are still 32-bit, and most games don't have the Large Address Aware flag set, so they're stuck at 2GB of maximum memory usage. And the games that do have the flag set will only go up to 4GB (and they rarely break 2GB anyway)
  • I would drop the SSD size down to 250GB or less. While you could shave loading time by putting games on an SSD, a lot of them have reasonable loading times on an HDD, and usually it's just the initial loading that hurts. For example, if you're playing Skyrim, sure it'll take a while to load where you left off from the main menu, but everything after that takes no more than a few seconds.
  • Go with the GTX 780 Ti. Unless you're gaming on 4K x 3 screens in which the 6GB VRAM size would help, the GTX 780 Ti is cheaper and performs pretty well by itself. Actually by the look of just the GPU specs, the GTX 780 Ti and Titan Black are identical except the Titan Black has a small increase in clock speed and has better compute performance (which only matters if you're doing actual GPGPU tasks... which games don't really do)
  • Sound cards are kind of a relic now. On-board audio has gotten really good over the years, modern games support 5.1 mixing without the need for a sound card, and I don't really miss the Sound Blaster Z I had in my last build.
  • For this setup, 800W at the minimum starting point. There's no harm going with 1K+ though.

The power supply calculator I use (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) suggests a 700W at the minimum, but this is at 90% load with 10% capacitor aging (recommended if you keep the PSU for over a year). However, you'll never reach this system load for extended periods of time. I did a comparison where I measured off the wall and plugged in what they recommend while my computer was running Crysis (which I thought was a nominal load). The power measured off the wall was lower than what I could set the system load on the calculator.
  • If you're not watching BD movies on your computer, skip the Blu-Ray drive entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey all,

Sorry for the late reply. So I went ahead and ordered all the parts with a couple big changes so I thought I'd post those.

I changed the sound card from the ZXR to just the ZX.
I changed out the 2x GTX Titan Blacks for 2x EVGA GTX 780-Ti Dual Classifieds.

To reply to some of the points in recent posts since I left:

-I own a fair amount of blu-rays so the drive is something I would like.
-I've read a lot of back and forth arguments about the sound card issue. I've always had one in my computers and it's just something that feels right. A lot of people will say that while on board does allow for 5.1 and the like, that it ends up sounding flatter than that of a sound card.

I admit the build is a little excessive, but it's somewhat what I was going for this time too. Want to own a power rig for once haha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:00 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Actually, sound wise, there's virtually no difference with onboard audio now having 100+dB SNR. Realtek's ALC898 7.1+2 chipset is at 110dB SNR on playback & 104dB SNR on recording.

My only problem with onboard audio these days is that positional audio in some games and even DVD/Blu-Ray 5.1 audio can be horrible on the Realtek chipsets & significantly better on the SoundBlaster ZX. Probably because Creative has been in the positional audio business far longer than Realtek, who for years only cared about getting their chipsets on every board in the world instead of making good quality audio products.

But I honestly believe that Realtek is VERY close to making add-in audio cards go the way of the floppy drive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Related page. Basically a Realtek ALC889 onboard solution can go toe-to-toe with a $2000+ external DAC for most people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I admit the build is a little excessive, but it's somewhat what I was going for this time too.

Now THAT'S a rig. Throw up some pictures when you're done - I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I see no need for Full tower cases myself. I use the HAF 922 and i got plenty of room for stuff. But otherwise looks nice I'll be eager to see what you manage with it. Maybe throw up some bench marks.