Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hi! I need some help with building a computer.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

Hi, I'm bewpy. I know NOTHING about building/what's inside a computer. I've asked my boyfriend and he just sent me here to ask for help. I want a gaming computer that can run games with at least moderately good graphics and high fps. I have a monitor and accessories like a keyboard and mouse, but I just need the actual computer part. Does anyone have any advice to help me?

Thanks, I hope this is enough info to go on. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Hi! I need some help with building a computer.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 pm 

This video should help if not look into his other videos they are very informative and should show you everything you need.

http://youtu.be/i_7MbLxKRC4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

bewpy wrote:
I've asked my boyfriend and he just sent me here to ask for help.

Hehe. Such a good guy, ain't he? Anyway, will you get help with building?

We would need to know more about the kind of games you play? Maybe it is possible to get you a pre-built computer. Also, what is your budget?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm 

Haha yeah he's a real keeper...

Well the games I'd like to play are Guild Wars 2, Smite, League of Legends, WoW, and Minecraft (I'm not a big gamer, I swear..)
I'd like to get a pre-built and my budget is like, around 800 dollars but I can go a bit higher as well.

Thanks for responding!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Prebuilt, eh? That's not our specialty, but as I see it you have a couple options:

Option 1
Start off with this iBuyPower.com AMD special @ $849:
  • Change the case to the NZXT 210 Red or Blue = -5
  • Change the processor to the FX-6300 = -35
  • Total = $810
This has the r7 260X which is basically a AMD 7790 - nice mid-range card (I just bought a 7790 and I'm pretty impressed with it for the price)

Option 2
Go to any major computer manufacturer (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) and find a basic computer that's under $800, ideally around $600 - $650. For this example:
  • There's a HP Envy 700-215xt on sale for $650 (free shipping) if you use the promo code 50PDS599. NOTE: it comes with Win 7 by default, but you should be able to upgrade to Win 8 for at no extra cost if you'd prefer that OS.
  • Then buy a GPU separately and insert it into the computer (it's pretty straight forward and maybe your "keeper" boyfriend could help out, if necessary).
  • Again, the AMD r7 260X would be a good choice, or you could go with nVidia's 750 GTX

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

btdog wrote:
Prebuilt, eh? That's not our specialty, but as I see it you have a couple options:
Option 2
Go to any major computer manufacturer (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) and find a basic computer that's under $800, ideally around $600 - $650. For this example:
  • There's a HP Envy 700-215xt on sale for $650 (free shipping) if you use the promo code 50PDS599. NOTE: it comes with Win 7 by default, but you should be able to upgrade to Win 8 for at no extra cost if you'd prefer that OS.
  • Then buy a GPU separately and insert it into the computer (it's pretty straight forward and maybe your "keeper" boyfriend could help out, if necessary).
  • Again, the AMD r7 260X would be a good choice, or you could go with nVidia's 750 GTX

Hope this helps.

I looked at option 1 and it gets pricy. I mean, I don't think anyone sells a budget PC.

Now, with option 2, you can probably get down to best buy, staples, etc, and check out a computer. The latest greatest news is the Nvidia's new GTX 750 ti video card can run on most OEM PCs without needing a big power supply. That could give you the oomph you want in a reasonable budget without the hassle of building a PC.

Check out the article:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... Gaming-PCs

EDIT: I think that shopping at a brick and mortar store to find a pre-built PC and buying a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti graphics card for ~$150 is a good route for you. You can probably get a PC with Intel i3 processor, 4-8GB RAM, a big 1TB harddrive, Windows pre-installed for under $500. Add the GTX 750 ti and you come in under $800. You can buy microsoft office or games with the extra money.

What do you guys say?