Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I install another case fan?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

A few weeks ago or perhaps a month ago now I posted asking for some help with picking a few parts to finish a new computer build. As I slowly gather the parts, I inspect them as they come in and also of course because I'm excited to start the building process.

Today, I got my Cooler Master HAF 922! Now, I didn't expect it to have a fan in the back, just the front and top. I expected to have to add another case fan to the rear to complete the airflow. However, to my surprise, it came with the rear exhaust fan! My question is should I install any fans in any of the optional slots? I have pictures to show which spots are open and which have fans but I read a years ago that you want to have more negative pressure I think to avoid dust build up and improved cooling. In other words, more exhaust than intake air flow. Currently, the top and rear are exhaust and the front clear on in there is intake. The front one is the same large size as the top. I will be overclocking and I like to max out potential so cooling is important to me. Also this is my first build with quietness in mind. I will be using a Noctua NH-C14 for the CPU and I've heard it also helps cool down the rest of the inside of the case too. If I mount a side and/or bottom fan, I assume they'd both be intake facing fans as it wouldn't make sense to make either of those spots exhaust, traditionally anyway.

Should I mount any extra fans, would doing so greatly impact either positively or negatively cooling and would the potential noise increase be worth it? Or will what comes with this case be enough? There seems to be plenty of honeycomb passive airflow areas, so I'm leaning towards seeing how it goes without adding any and then toying with the idea later on if I feel like I can get more overclocking with more airflow in there. Thoughts?

Also, what are those two soft rubbery pizza slice holes in the top on the last picture for? Ive never had a case with those before.

Post subject: Re: Should I install another case fan?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:22 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
they are for water cooling hoses.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
they are for water cooling hoses.

Well that's cool. I haven't had a water cooling ready case before.

Anyone have some input on case air cooling dynamics?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Personally I think your setup is fine, but I would make the top fan an intake instead of exhaust, as I'm a proponent of positive pressure cases than negative pressure. You do have to filter it though, but you can probably find something on say Frozencpu.com or Amazon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT - I thought you mentioned positive pressure helps with dust (since any air in nooks and crannies would be pushed out as opposed to being sucked in), is that right?

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the current setup, either, but if dust is a major concern and you want to go the positive pressure route, I would move the fan from the back of the computer and place it as an intake on the side (front & side = intake; top = exhaust). Leaving the top as exhaust would complement normal air flow (i.e., hot air rises).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Interesting. Yeah my room is pretty dusty and I wouldn't want to have to change a filter so often. Positive pressure (more intake flow than exhaust) is supposed to make things less dusty? I thought that would cause dust to accumulate on components more. Or are there nuances, like certain corners of the case accumulating less?

My last computer had a single medium sized rear fan and it got pretty dusty inside, and no top fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:43 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't believe that having an exhaust fan on top helps. Yes, hot air does rise, but I don't think it helps much. Here's my reasoning for my post.

• I find positive pressure beneficial because it induces a "clean room" like environment in the case. It should draw in more cool air and forces the warmer air out through any nook and cranny. Having negative pressure in the case draws in air from those same nooks and crannies, but it also allows dust in where you can't filter (unless you want to tape every hole in the case).
  • The reason for the top fan is because it would wash the CPU heatsink over with cooler air, rather than try to draw out the hotter air. Think of this way, if you're trying to cool a room in your house with a window fan and it's cool outside, do you think "drawing the hot air out" is effective, or "bringing the cold air in" is?

I also don't believe any extra airflow you bring from case fans helps with other active cooling elements. They already have a fan, so the case fan's gonna have to create airflow that either equals or matches what the active cooling element already does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Interesting concept. I mean, ambient temp inside the case only goes so far to help cool the CPU and stuff. I think you're right about the part bringing cool air in, particularly if theres no open element to the case. This one, however, has a lot of open passive holes, which should aid drawing in more cool air with enough negative pressure. My last case didnt have much for airflow besides where the fans were, which might have been part of the dust issue.

I'll leave the case as is for now and see if anything seems too hot, but with passive slots for air under the case, a lot on the side, and even the PSU with the open honeycomb airflow concept, this is probably the most "exposed to the outside air" case I've had, which also serves to reduce noise. I'm excited to try it out and see what the dust buildup will be like and the cooling properties. Still learned something from the posts though, so thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 am 

LatiosXT. You always have excellent responses, and this one is very interesting and makes an excellent point.

Cooling a home, or a room with an exhaust fan, you would open a window or small door in another part of the house and draw cool air in to cool the house as it flows out through the fan, HOWEVER, dust will come in through the open window. Your point , of drawing cool air in is good, like using a swamp cooler, it draws cold air in and exits, along with the hot air through an open(very small opening) window. I can tell you from personal experience that that does cause a huge positive pressure.

I like your suggestion about creating a positive pressure in the case, I already have an H80i radiator on the back of the case, flowing in (as recommended by Corsair) so I can reverse my top fan to flow inward and create a positive pressure in the case and see how the temps look. I have two 120's on the front. The fans were all manged by the motherboard software, at least before installing the H80i, now I'm not sure if corsair link software over rides the Motherboard software.