Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Real Life Build Log From a Tired Dad (first timers read!)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:45 pm 

I'd like to start this off by saying this is my fifth build (it's my ninth if you count building servers or a pc for friends from left-over parts from upgrades).

I styled this build from http://www.maximumpc.com/mini_dream_machine_2013. Not all the parts are the same, but it is close. I completely build a new system every three years or so trying to use mostly top of the line parts and use the old parts to upgrade my home server. Although this is expensive (this last build was about 3 grand) it allows me to (and read between the lines here) to not have to use that money for cable, satellite, or buying games.

This build will hopefully let first or second timers know the random obstacles they may run into that they had never thought of.

Here we go. First, the part list

CASE- Corsair 350D
MOTHERBOARD- Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5
VIDEO CARD- EVGA Classified GTX 780ti
RAM- Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 2133mhz 2x8gb
PROCESSOR- Intel i7-4770K
POWER- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
COOLER- Corsair H100i
FANS- Corsair AF140 x2 / Corsair SP120 x2
i also picked up a backplate for the video card from EVGA
HDD- Seagate 6gb 3tb
SDD- Samsung 512gb

i ordered everything from newegg except the power supply and the backplate. the backplate i ordered from EVGA and the power supply i ordered from bhphotovideo.com
the stuff from newegg got here faster than i expected and arrived in perfect condition. The backplate was the same story, early and perfect. The power supply was a different story. EVGA's 1000 watt platinum P2 seemed to be out of stock everywhere. After finally clicking "shopping" on google, i got a link to bhphotovideo. It said it was in stock. I've been burned before in the past by things being out of stock and websites not updating their inventory online (four month ordeal over a mobo. I've gone so far as to block tigerdirect's site from my browser to remind me) so i clicked bh's online live chat. I asked the chat box if it was INDEED instock. They said it was drop-shipped from the manufacturer but if it said in stock, it was in stock. That was over a month ago. It took three emails and two more online chats to get someone to actually CHECK and tell me it was out of stock. still waiting. so, stay away from bhphotovideo.com.
ok, the build.