Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question with regards to current build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So, this is my current PC build. I actually have revision 4.1 and 5.0. Two identical motherboards with very slight differences. The second motherboard, though... is currently in a disassembled state. It also needs a processor, RAM, PSU and case... but that's down the line.

The graphics card is a random nVIDIA GeForce 240 graphics card, if you're wondering why it's not referenced on the PCPartPicker site. No, I'm not using integrated graphics... I don't remember who manufactured it and I don't care enough to bother to check.

That said, I'd like to replace the power supply because it is wonky. I need to RMA it... or maybe I shouldn't and just trash it. Why, you ask? The PSU likes to die if someone accidentally wiggles the power cord. Then blap, it's dead and I have to power it back on.

I also seem to be having some struggles in turning the PC back on, which tells me that the PSU is dying, so I need to replace it before I completely lose the PSU.

The data and such is fine on the HDD, I use HDSentinel Pro to monitor the health of the hard drive. Very minor data loss have occurred, usually in the form of mIRC chat logs each time the PC blaps itself... either for some unknown reason, or I unintentionally derptastically bumped the power cord with my foot. ಠ_ಠ Everything that's important to me is backed up to Dropbox, so if it dies for some reason, I can start over with another PC.

That said... my requirement for the PSU is as follows:

1. It must fit in the current Rosewill Line-M case. I'll probably eventually replace it or modify it, because the hard drive placement in this case is such a damn pain in the ass.
2. Be fully modular, 80 plus Gold. None of that bullshit Corsair fully modular marketing shenanigan. I mean fully modular.
3. It must be quiet, or if it is not quiet, I hope I can replace the fan in it with a silent fan that works with it.

Other considerations:

Furthermore, I'm using a 23" TV as a monitor. I'll eventually replace it with 3x monitors. I'll probably replace the GPU with an AMD variant. Or stay with nVIDIA, due to their Linux driver stability. (I'm not switching to Linux until W7 EOLs.) Thoughts on that?

Also, ignore the CPU/CPU-Fan incompatibility warning. It's compatible. I'm using it right now in the PC and it works wonderfully well. I've informed PCPartPicker that the warning is incorrect.

Incidentally, any case fans to recommend for this PC? I'd like to make the fans as silent as possible... if that's even possible. Another incidental note is that this PC is on 24/7. It only gets shut down when I'm doing maintenance to the PC, which is rare as it stays remarkably clean inside.

Post subject: Re: Question with regards to current build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:24 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151099

Also unless you want to void the warranty and risk lethal electrical shock, I'd advise you to not touch the fan in the PSU.

Post subject: Re: Question with regards to current build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151099

Also unless you want to void the warranty and risk lethal electrical shock, I'd advise you to not touch the fan in the PSU.

Naturally I'd be replacing the fan in the PSU if it's not silent enough while the PSU's off... and suitably discharged. Nice, didn't know there were fanless variants... although that does beg the question: How does the PSU keep itself cool for the power usage it gets? Hopefully with enough of a large heatsink to keep that cool.

However... 480W? Think that's enough for a 7890 or sommat like that for AMDs and nVIDIA 760s? $250's about my max for graphic cards. Something like this EVGA 760 or the Gigabyte 2GB R9-270?

Edit: Also, would a Seasonic 520W fanless variant work with either options for the GPU? Edit2: Just noticed it's Platinum. OK, so I need to be a bit flexible if I want to go fanless... but I don't think that's a wise idea. I would say a PSU with fan should be an ideal solution. If I have to replace the fan... so be it, I will when the time comes.