Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New build UEFI question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 pm 

Hi, I'm doing a new build, but this will be my first time with a UEFI BIOS. And I remember there was a lot of pants wetting about UEFI and secure boot, etc. There seems to be a lot of info out there on dual and multi-boot configurations, but mine is a bit different and I'd like some opinions.

In my current main rig, I have my boot drive in a trayless rack, which allows me to swap out OSes easily and completely. I don't swap daily or even weekly, but it has come in very handy on a bunch of occasions. It has mostly been problem free. Every once in a while, my BIOS gets thrown off and continues to think an old drive is still in there(some are SSD's others are HDD's of various makes and sizes) and it refuses to boot until I go into the BIOS and correct it. Other times it seems to roll with it. But beyond that, it's been smooth sailing.

Seeing as each OS is on it's own drive, there shouldn't be any of the issues around secure boot and all that, right? (I will be adding Win8.1 into the mix this time - my experience there is limited to tablets and notebooks so far) But is there anything else about UEFI that might give me headaches? I intend to disconnect any data drives before installing a new OS to keep any of the OSes from getting their hooks too deeply into the data drives and causing issues for other OSes. Then I reconnect them after the OS install. Any other thoughts about UEFI and my config would be appreciated. Like, does anyone know if it's going to freak out every time I swap the drive, or will it smoothly boot from whatever's hooked up to the first SATA port? (I install all OSes in AHCI mode and so on, so should be no issues there. Each config should have matching BIOS settings.) I have a feeling the answer is going to be, "depends on the BIOS, so you won't know until you try it." So, anybody tried it? (It will likely be a mini-ITX board and I'm currently leaning toward the ASUS Maximus Impact.)