Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gameing Machine for under 700?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:55 pm 

I need a new computer desperately. I would like to build a gaming rig, but I only have 700 to spend. I was wondering if its possible and what I could build. I do no need keybord, mouse, or monitor. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Gameing Machine for under 700?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's slightly overbudget, but you didn't mention you need an OS so this build includes it. But otherwise this is kind of what you're looking at.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($132.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($158.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $716.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-21 22:39 EST-0500)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:27 pm 

Thanks for the info. Yeah forgot to mention OS. I am curious though, cause as a gamer the important stuff is processor speed, memory, and video card right? Decent hard drive maybe, decent motherboard maybe, and of coarse power supply right? 3.5ghz seems okay. I see a lot of systems online that are 3.9 to 4.2 but starts getting expensive, I am concerned about the video card and the memory too. Is there any tweaks that could be done to do better on the core components but still remain in the price range. With what you listed i am concerned how much time i might get out of the build before i have to upgrade again. Thanks again for the help

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:42 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

In a gaming, (un)surprisingly, the only thing that really matters is the GPU.

The processor isn't as important and very few games benefit from better processors (off the top of my head, Skyrim, but not by a dramatic amount). Aside from that, many games made in the last 6 years were developed with ease of porting to consoles in mind, which for all intents and purposes lowered the requirement bar to ridiculous levels. I've read accounts that people were able to play Battlefield 3 just fine on a Celeron G1610 with a midrange video card.

Memory isn't all that important either. Most games are 32-bit and in Windows the memory usage limit for 32-bit programs is 2GB, unless compiled with a flag to use all 4GB (again, Skyrim is the only game I know that was compiled this way). So 4GB is enough to scoot you by. Though if you are a heavy multitasker, you should probably consider 6GB or 8GB. More memory is only useful if you constantly run out and the system is thrashing away at the hard drive because it's accessing the swap file constantly. It doesn't improve performance ever unless that scenario is happening

I also have no reason to believe that games in the near future will require quad core processors. If developers are still developing with the ease of console porting in mind, then there's nothing really to worry about. That i3 will smoke the CPU in either the PS4 or Xbox One (by virtue that they're both using Netbook-class processors).

So really, the only upgrade you will need in the near future is a video card. And that's probably all that you will be upgrading until the system is so old that finding parts to upgrade it rather than outright building a new computer will be hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 pm 

thanks for that system build site i can play around with different specs to get maybe better components. that was very helpful, and the build you gave me was also very helpful. Curious how long before i would need to upgrade?. But could you clarify what you mean by the GPU. I guess I am a little out dated then. I thought processor speed, ram, and graphics card were very important to running games. I play a lot of MMOs and some times the loading screen wih certain games takes a while and sometimes lag is an issue. i like first person shooters and other games but in those type of games lag means life and death. I'd like to run the games on higher settings with out suffering in other ares. any additional help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:53 pm 

I also dont see any cooling for the system you put up there for me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The case comes with two fans, and the stock CPU cooler should be fine unless you want to drop another $30 for something.

Anyway, if you don't have an OS to install, then it kind of limits what you can get now. The system I threw out there should be fine for most games on high or medium settings, depending on how intense it is. If you saved up another $100 then we could bump up the video card to a point where you can run most games on either high or max.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Lamori wrote:
thanks for that system build site i can play around with different specs to get maybe better components. that was very helpful, and the build you gave me was also very helpful. Curious how long before i would need to upgrade?. But could you clarify what you mean by the GPU.

GPU = graphics processing unit AKA The Video Card

How long till you need an upgrade? Until you can no longer play games at a reasonable frame rate with that setup. Usually, your upgrade path will then involve getting a better video card. And if your graphics card will be bottlenecked (computing limitation) by the CPU, you will upgrade the CPU also. Using the build from above, you can replace that i3 with an i5 or i7 when it is time for an upgrade.

Like Latios said, GPU is most important because of how games are designed. Most game developers don't really use the parallel power of multiple CPU cores.