Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I due for an upgrade?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:57 am 

I built a gaming PC with whatever money I had saved from a couple years before about 2 years ago and have been upgrading it periodically over the last 5-6 months. Here are my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k @ 4.2 Ghz, Cooler: Antec KÜHLER H2O 620, RAM: 8gb DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance, MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev 1.0), SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB, HDD: 1TB Western Digital Green, GPU: EVGA GTX 470 Superclocked w/ Backplate

I had a server computer running FreeNAS 8 in my basement that I am looking to replace now, here are it's specs:

CPU: AMD FX-60, MOBO: NF4SK8AA-8EKRS, RAM: 4GB DDR 400 Generic, HDD: 2TB WD RED, GPU: BFG 9800 GT Green edition (it can only boot with a nvidia gpu, the mobo is finicky)

As recently as a month or 2 ago, the regular (non sil3132) SATA ports quit working, rendering it completely useless. Before that I was having problems getting the LAN working reliably. It's been about 6 years since I originally built that pc, so you might imagine why I'd want to upgrade :lol: . I am interested in donating parts from my current PC (CPU & SSD mainly) to build a new server computer. As far as upgrades on my gaming computer, I'd like to know the following things:

Should I get a new GPU or get an aftermarket cooler for my 470 and OC the hell out of it?
Should I also get a new CPU as not to bottleneck my system? if so:
Would it be wise to donate my i5 to a new server build and replace it with an i7?
MSata SSD, yea or nay?

Post subject: Re: Am I due for an upgrade?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That system is fine. The only thing that could use an upgrade is the video card.

And if your file server is just for home network use, you shouldn't be using anything more powerful than budget processors anyway. The CPU only affects how many requests the server can handle.

Post subject: Re: Am I due for an upgrade?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 am 

The reason I was thinking on putting the i5 in the server build was because I am going to use it also as a Minecraft server that has a capacity of about 40 people (sorry for not including that in my original post). You can read up here on why you need a fast CPU for that particular application. In addition to running the Minecraft server, I'd like to use it as a NAS of some type to store all my media
Spoiler: show
Blu-Ray movies I've ripped to my hard drive and converted them to MKV/H.264, Audio in the following formats; FLAC (from many cds), WAV (to use on windows, also from many cds), and MP3 (to store in my google play music library), and 60 or so GB of pictures that I've got stored up from vacations I went on years ago

and Documents
Spoiler: show
Generally programs that I've downloaded/payed money for and do not want to lose the installation keys or setup executables for

And transfer at gigabit speeds. Oh and did I mention run a 40 player Minecraft server at the same time? :lol: I know it can be done with this CPU, it's got some real beef to it compared to that old FX-60. So as to elaborate some more on the details of what I am planning on doing is to upgrade the GPU (hopefully sell my 470 and other old hardware to people who need it more than I) to a 770, 780, 670 or 680 (depending on what my budget will allow) and put the server on hold until I can do a little more research on what I'll need. I am contemplating getting this case to house it all ( current case here ) just for ease of access to the server. I'd put the server on top in the 915R and my main PC in the main unit.It'd be really cool to put a hot swap bay in the 5.25 inch bay for the server. I think I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself with all that hot swapping madness so I'll see what you guys have to think before I make any final decisions/plans.