Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: This will be my first build. Getting ready to order...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 pm 

It's mainly a work comp but I would like to do some gaming on it (maybe B4 and the new Titianfall). I will be running a 3 monitor setup (3x23"), but its not necessary to run the games on all three simultaneously (although sounds pretty cool though). Not planning on OC'ing. This is how the system is looking so far. I have Amazon Prime so all this is free 2 day shipping with the exception of the Gigabyte GTX 770. Comments on the this build would be great before I order. Is there anything I'm missing? Do I really need one of those anti-static straps? I'll be putting it together over hardwood/tile flooring. Dont know if that matters.

i5-4570
GA-H87M-D3H Desktop Motherboard
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Corsair 350D Micro ATX Case
Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD
Western (Blue) 1TB Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
SeaSonic 650w (SSR-650RM) Win.7 Home (64bit)
Asus VS239H-P 23" Monitor
(old Dell 2407 and HP 2311x - which I will be changing out later)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/chazown/saved/3qma

Post subject: Re: This will be my first build. Getting ready to order...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only question I have is do you really need a 500GB SSD? I'd say get a 250GB SSD and throw the extra money at a 2TB-3TB drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
The only question I have is do you really need a 500GB SSD? I'd say get a 250GB SSD and throw the extra money at a 2TB-3TB drive.

Thanks for your response. I suppose if I'm being honest I don't really need any of these parts. I have a small business though and its been almost 2 years since I updated. I know a 500ssd is going to be slightly overkill but it should give me good room to grow. Anyway, my parts have changed slightly and I'm still looking for confirmation that I have no compatibility issues.

This will be my first build. Am I missing anything?

Updated Parts:

i5-4570
GA-H87M-D3H Desktop Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 (updated)
Corsair 350D Micro ATX Case
Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD
Western (Blue) 1TB Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB (updated)
SeaSonic 650w (SSR-650RM) Win.7 Home (64bit)
Asus VS239H-P 23" Monitor
(old Dell 2407 and HP 2311x - which I will be changing out later)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2B76B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want me to just answer your question: there aren't any compatibility issues.

But to throw out some more opinion... even if you want a 500GB SSD so you have room to grow, why not just get an HDD? There's a lot of cases where an SSD doesn't show an appreciable performance benefit. Storing a lot of documents, pictures, music, and video? SSDs don't provide much benefit here as these all require low bandwidth. Even for some games, load times aren't really a problem because most of them try to keep loading to a minimum on slower medium anyway. I have a 2TB HDD that loads most game saves and levels in seconds and the longest I have to wait in worst cases is still under 30 seconds or so. Which is usually just the initial load.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

First off, if you want a 500GB SSD and you can afford it, do whatever will make you happy.

To LatiosXT's point, you should consider your needs. Will 500GBs be sufficient for your apps and games? And will 1TB be enough for your data?

They just recently came out, but have you thought about the Seagate Hybrid, or the WD Black2? You're supposed to get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:15 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
But to throw out some more opinion... even if you want a 500GB SSD so you have room to grow, why not just get an HDD? There's a lot of cases where an SSD doesn't show an appreciable performance benefit. Storing a lot of documents, pictures, music, and video? SSDs don't provide much benefit here as these all require low bandwidth. Even for some games, load times aren't really a problem because most of them try to keep loading to a minimum on slower medium anyway. I have a 2TB HDD that loads most game saves and levels in seconds and the longest I have to wait in worst cases is still under 30 seconds or so. Which is usually just the initial load.

I picked up a Corsair M500 480GB SSD recently, even though I only needed ~240GB (I got it for 240$ woo!) The only games I find that NEED the SSD to load in a decent time is BF3/BF4. Mind you, both games combined +dlc is less than 100GB. Add your OS and you barely push 120.

Would take this advice, cut the SSD, get a MUCH larger media drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:57 am 

Guess I'm in the minority here, but after getting a SSD I will NEVER go back to a primary HDD. Still, I do concur with that right now the sweet spot for SSDs in price/capacity seems to be 128/256GB. What I would do if I wanted to save some money is get a 256GB, install Windows there and your most used programs (in my case, the 'currently playing' game is there), and use the 1TB drive for normal data, pictures, etc. I also created a Steam library in the SSD so when I install a new game I have the option to install in the SSD or the HDD.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't value an SSD for its transfer rate. A lot of what I work has small enough transfers that it doesn't really affect the performance of the program if I'm transferring it 5 times faster. And usually once its done loading, it doesn't touch the HDD again until the next big thing happens.

I value an SSD for its response time. Using an OS and the typical programs I have consists of a lot of small transfers. Each new transfer requires the medium in question to go find it. For an HDD with an order of magnitude of response time over an SSD, these add up. I find using an OS on an SSD more pleasant simply because it feels snappier.