Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Second dead CPU?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:00 pm 

Two months ago I bought a new build, and I was having a problem with it turning on then back off. This is the help post I made: http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=242151

I got an RMA with the MOBO, and a week later, ASUS sent me a brand new board. I hooked it up outside the case with just the CPU, and cooler; and I had the same problem. Changing the PSU had no effect so I knew that the CPU was dead. I went to another store of the same vendor that sold me the parts, and got the CPU replaced, because it was still under warranty. I changed the CPU, and it worked perfectly.

I just got back from being away for less than a week, I turned on the computer, and it turned on then back off, just as it did before. I tried it a few times to be sure, and one time it lasted about five seconds instead shutting off right away. All I have done for testing is unplug the case power, and reset buttons. I am very sure though that the CPU is dead because it is the exact same thing that happened before.

I doubt the problem is the CPU because the computer has worked, and the old CPU made it to POST once so it seems like something is killing the CPU. Also, both my brothers have had good experiences with the same processor, and it seems unlikely that half of the 4670Ks are faulty.

Also the first problem started with one board, and the current one is with a different board; and I have not read anything about Maximus VI Formulas killing CPUs.

That leaves me to believe the PSU is faulty, and is killing CPUs. I do have both the 8-pin and 4-pin connectors plugged in if that could cause a problem. The PSU is a Corsair AX860, and Corsair seems to have a great reputation, but I guess even the best have some mistakes.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Specs have stayed mostly the same except for the Graphics Card, but here they are anyway:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (2x4GB)
Graphics: Asus GTX 780
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB
DVD drive: LG DVD writer
Wireless card: TP-LINK N450
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
PSU: Corsair AX860

Post subject: Re: Second dead CPU?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Check the PSU voltages with a volt meter. It it should be within 10% of the rated rail. If that passes, then check to make sure nothing is shorting out on the socket.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I do have both the 8-pin and 4-pin connectors plugged in if that could cause a problem.

I think that's your problem. Based on my read of the ASUS manual (p. 2-7) for the Maximus Mobo, you use:

the 24 pin connector...PLUS

Option 1: the 8 pin connector
OR
Option 2: a 4 pin connector in the 8 pin connector
OR
Option 3: the 4 pin connector

It does not look like you use both. Since you're thinking something is frying CPUs, that would be a likely culprit.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:45 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

You can only have the 8 pin or the 4 pin plugged into the MB . . . unless you forced the 8-pin EPS Aux. CPU power connector into the graphics card and/or forced the 8-pin PCI-E aux. GPU power connector into the Aux. CPU power connector on the MB. That would be exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

FascistNation wrote:
You can only have the 8 pin or the 4 pin plugged into the MB . . . unless you forced the 8-pin EPS Aux. CPU power connector into the graphics card and/or forced the 8-pin PCI-E aux. GPU power connector into the Aux. CPU power connector on the MB. That would be exciting.

I looked at the manual also. Looks like this board has a 24-pin, 8-pin, and a 4-pin power connector. However, as btdog says, you only should have 24-pin + {4-pin OR 8-pin}. Having all three connected blew the CPU.

Anyone know why this board has both the 4-pin and the 8-pin power connectors?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:19 pm 

I don't think the problem is having more plugged in than needed. The first CPU died with only the 8 pin connected. Also from what I read, the purpose of the extra 4 pin connector is to draw more power for overclocks. I did not need the extra connector, but I had it connected for convenience in case I ever did run an overclock. It would not make sense for the MOBO to allow enough power to fry the CPU, it would only draw what it needed.

I already know that I will have to RMA the CPU, but should I RMA anything else to prevent the problem from happening again?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:11 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's just go with the power supply and motherboard. I would also make sure the motherboard standoffs are in place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:26 am 

New update: Now instead of turning right back off, it stays on, without posting. Nothing displays on the screen, the mouse does not light up, there are no beeps, a Q-code of 00, and none of the POST lights light up at all. It used to do this before it started the on then off two months ago. I think this goes with a dead CPU because it would have a post failure for something else.