Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All that's left is a new Monitor, help please.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just got done with my new PC, i5-3570k/GTX 760 build and I have one more thing to order....A Monitor.

Now, I know my way around PCs, but I've never read on monitors or know what to look for in them. My current one is a 23" HP 2311x that I got second-hand a while back. It's ok, but the colors are washed out a bit due to the brightness and I just want something bigger for immersion's sake; gaming.

From what I've been looking at, price wise, I'm thinking I'm going to go with a 27" @ 1080p. Now, I have read mixed opinions about 1080 @ 27, some say 1080 looks atrocious at 27, but I am not an enthusiast and just want something bigger, with decent colors. I generally sit about 2ft. from my current one, but I would like to sit back, around 3-5ft., while gaming, which is hard to do at 23".

I really don't play FPS too often, just RPGs and action/adventure games.

I have $200-300 to spend and want to order ASAP.

After looking around for a day and reading reviews on various 27", I have come to the realization that I don't know what I'm looking at, and what type of "panel" is best?!?!

Here's just a few I was tossing around:
Samsung S27C390H
Hanns-G HL272HPB
The more expensive; ASUS VE278Q

What are the differences? What should I get? I would like to stay under $250, but I can go up to $300 if it's ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Thanks guys!!

Post subject: Re: All that's left is a new Monitor, help please.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:20 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want color accuracy, it has to be an IPS panel. I recall these start getting down to $150 if you don't care for the bells and whistles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
this is about the best deal around at present, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005419

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
this is about the best deal around at present, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005419

I ignored that one because of the brightness and some bad reviews on it because it's only 200 cd/m2.

Is it not as bad as they make it out to be? I just notice most others are 300.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Chances are you're not going to use all of that brightness anyway. Monitor reviews do quality tests at 100 or 200 cd/m^2, with the delta E (color accuracy) done at 100... at least on one site. And you shouldn't be using monitors at max brightness anyway as that causes eye strain. I have mine sit at 20/100 all the time unless the sun is hitting it, then I only need up to 50/100.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
Chances are you're not going to use all of that brightness anyway. Monitor reviews do quality tests at 100 or 200 cd/m^2, with the delta E (color accuracy) done at 100... at least on one site. And you shouldn't be using monitors at max brightness anyway as that causes eye strain. I have mine sit at 20/100 all the time unless the sun is hitting it, then I only need up to 50/100.

Alright. Could someone explain why the LG is better than the others? Just so I know what I'm supposed to be looking at, specs-wise.

Is this ASUS worth the extra $? And what's the difference in these two...

ASUS VS278Q-P
ASUS VE278Q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Both ASUS monitors are practically the same spec-wise. The only noteworthy is the VS278Q-P has two HDMI ports with no DVI ports. The ASUS monitors both have DP ports, but that doesn't really matter.

However, if color shifting is going to bother you, then you must get an IPS panel. TN panels at that size will noticeably color shift even if you're looking at it at the appropriate view. And as I said before, brightness really doesn't matter in the long run since you shouldn't be viewing it at max brightness anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I *just* bought the Asus 27" 144hz monitor (VG278HE). Only played around with it for a couple days but I'm really liking it so far. I upgraded from a 23" Alienware 120hz panel. The monitor was $379 from Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm going to give you the best advice a friend gave me after he saw me spending weeks trying to find a great monitor and studying all these specs....."Go to Amazon or Newegg, filter down to the size monitor you want and then sort by Most Popular or Avg Customer Review..the top 10 are what you want so pick one from there". I wanted a 24inch (two to be exact) and landed on the best monitor I've ever had by following his advice, the Dell U2412M.

So here is an Amazon link sorted by Most Popular for the 27 and above monitors....any of the top 10 are probably what you want so pick one that meets your budget and criteria of inputs/outputs and features you want (swivel, raise, lower, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_s ... 1388708942

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:51 am 

Masterchi wrote:
I'm going to give you the best advice a friend gave me after he saw me spending weeks trying to find a great monitor and studying all these specs....."Go to Amazon or Newegg, filter down to the size monitor you want and then sort by Most Popular or Avg Customer Review..the top 10 are what you want so pick one from there". I wanted a 24inch (two to be exact) and landed on the best monitor I've ever had by following his advice, the Dell U2412M.

So here is an Amazon link sorted by Most Popular for the 27 and above monitors....any of the top 10 are probably what you want so pick one that meets your budget and criteria of inputs/outputs and features you want (swivel, raise, lower, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_s ... 1388708942

That post is so far the best piece of advice I've heard in a while.