Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: About to Order...GPU and PSU, need FAST ADVICE!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:18 am 

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817207013

GPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127745
---
My current PSU is a Rosewill Stallion Series 500w, 31amps on dual 12v, so I think I need to order a new PSU, right? I really don't have the cash, but if I have to buy one, I have to.

Both of those exceed my budget just a tad, so any advice one might have for me, I'm all ears, but I need to order here soon.

ps, would it at all be possible to use my current PSU for a week so I can save up some more cash to buy the PSU then? Or would it be a bad idea to game on my PSU and that GPU?

Post subject: Re: About to Order...GPU and PSU, need FAST ADVICE!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:31 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Why do you feel you need a more powerful PSU?

The minimum requirements for a 760 is 450W. Granted, the GPU you're looking at has an extra 6 pin connector but not because it's going to be using all the added power - it's probably because it exceeds output the the PCI slot and 6 pin but not by much.

Since you don't list your whole build, it's difficult to know exactly how much power you need or where the strain will be. Try using a PSU Calculator and see what it tells you.

As to your current PSU, you also need to consider its age and how much "stress" you put on it with the original computer - PSUs degrade with age and by how much is demanded of them.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 am 

btdog wrote:
Why do you feel you need a more powerful PSU?

The minimum requirements for a 760 is 450W. Granted, the GPU you're looking at has an extra 6 pin connector but not because it's going to be using all the added power - it's probably because it exceeds output the the PCI slot and 6 pin but not by much.

Since you don't list your whole build, it's difficult to know exactly how much power you need or where the strain will be. Try using a PSU Calculator and see what it tells you.

As to your current PSU, you also need to consider its age and how much "stress" you put on it with the original computer - PSUs degrade with age and by how much is demanded of them.

Hope this helps.

I was looking at the 12v amp req. on the 760; it needs 30, and my PSU has 31, I didn't think it would be wise to run it, less I'm completely wrong about this...I have no idea.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:53 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
here, this PSU will save you money, provide more power, etc. $39.00, after rebate, to your door. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153167

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

In my experience, most systems don't even need more than 400W. I had a GTX 560 Ti SLI system and the most it drew was around 350W. So you probably don't need a new PSU unless it's rather old (like 3+ years). And assuming you have a single video card setup, 450W-500W will do you fine.

Also power supply requirements from the GPU vendor are assuming a worst case scenario (like running Prime95 and FurMark at the same time) to cover their bases. For instance my current system (Core i5-2500 with a GTX 670) draws about 240W on a nominal load. If you assume that was all 12V, that's only 20A.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

The maximum draw on a non-OC'd 760 is 170W (14.2A on the +12V rail not 30). 6.25A will be supplied by the x16 slot, so the 6-pin PCI-E's need to possibly supply less than 8A (96W) between the two (a 6-pin can deliver up to 75W (6.25A) apiece).

Overclocking can add significant power increases (and that card is 11% factory OC'd). Literally a 25% OC ballpark a 25% power demand increase. Even though that card has a 6-pin and a 8-pin PCI-E connector you could not possibly OC the card on air (or even liquid) and need that much power as nVidia's spec sheet shows, two 6-pins supplies 150W / 12.5A of power. So don't sweat it---well unless you can get a 50% OC in which case show us the GPU-z screenshot! :D

Maximal power demands only occur when running an app designed to test the GPU or in intense gaming. Most of the time the PSU never breaks a sweat.

That XFX is an very good quality PSU and a great price. But the Rosewill is a crap PSU quality wise (made by Solytech). If you assume it actually is capable of putting out its power specs at 50C, or even 40C, then the first +12V "rail" which supplies the mains at 15A which will include the x16 slot's 6.25A contribution. The 16A on the second "rail" should easily handle the remainder demanded by the video card.