Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with SSD and Mechanical hard drive upgrade.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:56 pm 

I'm looking to upgrade my son's system with an SSD and new mechanical hard drive, but need some help deciding which ones to get and how to set them up.

First the specs of the system:
(system is not overclocked at all)

Intel Core i5 2500k with Zalman CNPS 9700 cooler
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw Series DDR 1600 ram (4x4gb)
EVGA GTX 560 Ti 448 Classified video card
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 motherboard
Samsung DVD Burner
Existing hard drive is an older WD Caviar SE 16 500GB 7200 rpm drive that I will probably retire (it's over 6 years old)

The only workout this system gets is gaming, and a lot of it.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck out of an SSD. I'd like to go with 1TB, but the cheapest ones are around $550 or so, and I really would rather not spend that much on a single drive, so I'm thinking 512GB, but if smaller would be a better overall choice, I'd be open to that also. But no matter what size I go with, there are just so many options at different price points, it's really difficult to weed through them and know exactly what I'm getting, and if I'm getting a good deal or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
As far as the mechanical drive goes, I'm pretty much thinking as big as I can go for the money, again, best bang for the buck. So I'm open to any suggestions on that also.

Lastly, any suggestions on how I should partition the drives, if at all, would be appreciated also. I'm guessing what size drives I end up with would be a determining factor on how I should partition. I've never run partitions before but, I don't know if that is a good idea or ever was. I've read up on it some, and it seems everyone has a different opinion on whether or not to do it and why, and how to do it.

If there's anything I'm overlooking, please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Post subject: Re: Need help with SSD and Mechanical hard drive upgrade.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm a mixed bag with games on SSDs. I'm finding that while some games do see a benefit in load times, a number of games don't receive any appreciable benefit. For instance, Skyrim for me had the same loading times regardless of where it was on. I believe other people found that Call of Duty loads better with transfer speeds.

Honestly I'd just get a 250GB SSD and store games that are played frequently on there and the rest on the HDD. Or better yet, instead of a regular HDD, get a hybrid one. They're not that more expensive and if the games on there end up getting used often, they'll approach SSD speeds. Games these days are designed with bandwidth constraints in mind so loading times aren't really painful, unless 10 seconds or so is painful to you or your son.

Post subject: Re: Need help with SSD and Mechanical hard drive upgrade.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:38 am 

Thank you for the help. I ended up getting the Samsung 500GB EVO for a good price, plus my son kicked in a little money because he wanted the bigger drive. I also picked up a Seagate 3TB.