Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Build for Mom--Non-Gaming PC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Okay, I am in the process of gathering the parts to build my mom a new computer for xmas. Her's is rather old (Core2Duo E6400, 4GB of Ram, 160GB HDD). This computer will never be used for gaming, unless you count Solitaire :D

I have the case already as she wants a smaller system then she has now (Lian-Li PC65 case)I picked up a SilverStone ML03 and it will do just nicely. That leaves me with mATX and ITX only for options. Newegg had 8GB of Crucial Ballistic PC3-1600 on sale the other day for $60 shipped after a promo code so that I have coming as well. I am stuck on the CPU choice, I have used both AMD and Intel in the past, I have been Intel only since Core2Quad. I know that AMD is not the gaming power house they were in the Athlon days, but what do you think for running word, excel, remote connecting to her work etc. Basically it would be an office computer, and be used for that and web surfing.

Should I go with Core i5 4570? AMD A8? A10? FX6350? (Probably a FX6300 it has better thermals).

Thanks Guys and Gals!!!

Post subject: Re: New Build for Mom--Non-Gaming PC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly I'd just slap on a Celeron G1610 and call it a day. If this is just for browsing the web that's more than plenty. Otherwise the highest I'd go for a basic build is a Core i3-4130T since it has a TDP of 35W

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

This is easy for a power build! Ha, I am clueless when it comes to low power boxes. I was looking at the i3 too. Thanks Latios!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Honestly, just buy one prebuilt....Dell or HP make great low power boxes that are far cheaper than you can build. You can pick up an I3 with 6-8GB of RAM for $300 or less. Can't beat that. And if you want to go really micro in size grab a Gigabyte Brix or an Intel Nuc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856164003

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The cheapest thing Dell or HP has isn't a Core i3 with 6GB-8GB, unless you get a refurb (or get lucky with a holiday sale). Both the BRIX and NUC need a mSATA SSD, which easily is over half the cost of the unit itself for something with enough room.

Besides, you can configure a bare bones "hobo build" for $250-$300.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
If it was me, I would have just moved the Core2Duo E6400 onto a mATX motherboard and dropped it into the new, small chassis. That CPU is only 65w.

Yeah - it would not be easy to find a mATX socket 775 motherboard today... but if you can find one, it would make it a pretty low-cost build - since you can re-use almost all of your old parts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/110-desktop ... cp=1&lp=30

There is a good one and save the parts you already bought for a new build for yourself. Done, as you can't build anything cheaper with WLAN, LAN, and Windows 8 and an I3 with 1 TB HDD. Buy prebuilt for low power builds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I am in the process of gathering the parts to build my mom a new computer for xmas.

Not to throw a wrench in the whole discussion, but what about a tablet? If all she does is surf the web, play solitaire, occasionally write email, a tablet could be an option. Now, if she does extensive email, updates facebook constantly (in other words, "produces" material rather than "consumes"), then a computer is the better option.

I kinda like this thread - interesting comments.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

btdog wrote:
Quote:
I am in the process of gathering the parts to build my mom a new computer for xmas.

Not to throw a wrench in the whole discussion, but what about a tablet? If all she does is surf the web, play solitaire, occasionally write email, a tablet could be an option. Now, if she does extensive email, updates facebook constantly (in other words, "produces" material rather than "consumes"), then a computer is the better option.

I kinda like this thread - interesting comments.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, but he said she uses MS office and needs to remote log in to work. Maybe a MS Surface or similar would be nice but then it would probably go above budget.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
but what do you think for running word, excel, remote connecting to her work etc. Basically it would be an office computer, and be used for that and web surfing.

Yep - reading the whole post IS useful. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Have to love MicroCenter Sales!!!! Went the AMD route, picked up FX6300 (overkill), and mobo for $110.

::EDIT::

Going to recycle, the DVD burner, data drive and powe rsupply. Just got a 120GB SSD back from RMA, (I already replaced mine in my main rig), so its going in there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Recycling the PSU can be a little iffy, depending on the model and how old it is.

Also how tech savvy is your mom? If she is just a regular user and doesn't dig much deeper into configuring the computer beyond changing the appearance, you should move the Users folder off the SSD and into the HDD to make things as painless as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

She is pretty tech savy for the most part, I was going to recycle the PSU, it's antec Baisq 550 Modular unit, but it's about 20mm too long, because its modular. I picked up a CoolerMaster 400W unit, after rebates for like $25. Its fits nicely into the case, and now I have enough room for an optical drive should I choose to install one.