Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrades are fun yet stressful, so input plz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm 

Ok looking to do some upgrades on my gaming rig, then use them to build new rig early next year. Holidays means a tight budget for the next few months then next year get the rest of the upgrades. Right now I'm thinking MOBO and CPU. Maybe a larger SSD now as I am changing mobo to keep my win 8's to there mobo's (I have the new Win 8 Pro already)
This system is mostly for gaming. RPG (Skyrim/ Witcher type) and MMO (EVE)

Current setup
Win 8.1 Pro
i7 2600k CPU Cooled with Corsair h100
Asus P8P67 PRO
24 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance (2 8's and 2 4's)
Main HD OCZ Vertex 3 128GB (thinking of going larger)
Two GTX 670's running 5 monitors (4 27" and one 24") I run 4 to 5 EVE clients and the 24" is used for spreadsheets mostly n browsers
Powered with a Corsair TX850W

I plan to upgrade all and use this as a spare but for now I can't get it all (Maybe $600 to $700 for now)
I was thinking an i5 as it is only for gaming but today someone said if I'm playing EVE online, I should go with i7... but could not validate his reasoning. Still that leaves me coming here to get good input from ppl who keep up to date with toys

Post subject: Re: Upgrades are fun yet stressful, so input plz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly there's no need to upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

looks like a decent rig.

I never knew you could mix RAM sizes together. I thought you had to use the same size RAM sticks. How does this work, and why?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phillyj wrote:
I never knew you could mix RAM sizes together. I thought you had to use the same size RAM sticks. How does this work, and why?

On boot the CPU just initializes and enumerates the RAM. It doesn't care if each stick is the same size or not, just how much it has. The only time it's a "requirement" is if you're trying to take advantage of dual/triple/quad channeling. Then the size of each RAM stick has to be the same for that channel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Honestly there's no need to upgrade.

While I do enjoy this PC and have no problems with it as is. I am needing another PC in the house. Sooo since this is over two years old and is for gaming. I figure I will move this older unit to the bedroom for movies and gaming from time to time. SO the new PC will become my main gaming rig. I see no reason to buy the same components as there are newer and better things out there. My problem is I can't afford to just buy everything at once. So I am buying parts and using some as I go. The 16 RAM and 5 monitors will stay as I purchased these for the new build earlier. I also have the case, mouse (RAT 7), keyboard, speakers and storage HD. My next purchase is the CPU MOBO and I hope the new SSD.
As this will be for gaming I see no reason to stay with an i7, but as I stated before, a friend said the i7 would perform better playing multiple EVE online accounts. This has stumped me as I can find nothing to agree with what he is saying, but if true I have no problems with buying an i7 I just see no reason to if I will never need it. So I am needing info on what to buy for CPU mainly, but welcome all input for anything else. As I have not been keeping up on parts for over a year my knowledge of whats good and whats better is lacking. So far my thoughts have been towards:

i5 4670k
Asus x79-Deluxe or ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i

Then early next year finishing it off with
Thermaltake TPG-1050M 1050W
(2ea) EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5 256bit
and a second set of Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000)
throw in a BluRay or two and some fans

But I wanted to see what others suggested and if anyone could explain the i7 for MMO's

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

martin510 wrote:
i5 4670k

The 4670k is a LGA1150 part. The X79 platform is for the "Extreme" CPUs using the LGA 2011 socket.

Anyways, you'll get more life out of a i7 part. Especially from the X79 platform. You are running 4-5 EVE clients on your 2600k right? Well disable hyperthreading and see if the performance differs. An i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, so you'll see a relative performance comparison in doing this.

So if performance suffers, get an i7. If performance is still fine then the i5 should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:57 am 

Airheadq wrote:
martin510 wrote:
i5 4670k

The 4670k is a LGA1150 part. The X79 platform is for the "Extreme" CPUs using the LGA 2011 socket.

Anyways, you'll get more life out of a i7 part. Especially from the X79 platform. You are running 4-5 EVE clients on your 2600k right? Well disable hyperthreading and see if the performance differs. An i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, so you'll see a relative performance comparison in doing this.

So if performance suffers, get an i7. If performance is still fine then the i5 should be fine.

Ahh thanks, didn't catch that on the i5. I choose the board when looking at i7's and didn't notice I needed to change MOBO's too.
As for the HT I will try that.
thanks